wave

Primarygun

There will be no waves for the transerve wave any more after a period of time, why?

Disturbance is added, it starts to move. Where does the energy lose?

Why do the particles always try to archieve at their equilibrium level(position)?I can understand the energy loss in longitudinal wave but not transverse wave.

Please explain it to me.

Water wave can be transerve wave and longitudinal wave, right?

What happens if the energy is not totally lost? It rebounds?

Why do the particles always try to archieve at their equilibrium level(position)?

There will be no waves for the transerve wave any more after a period of time, why?

Because some of the energy transmited is loss to fiction and other energy converisions.

Disturbance is added, it starts to move. Where does the energy lose?

I don't quite follow. The medium moves because of a disturbance to it. The energy loss is to the thing that starts the medium in motion, IIRC.

Why do the particles always try to archieve at their equilibrium level(position)?I can understand the energy loss in longitudinal wave but not transverse wave. Why do the particles always try to archieve at their equilibrium level(position)?

Because there is a linear restoring force (F=-kx) with tries to return the particles to there orginal loction.

Please explain it to me.

Water wave can be transerve wave and longitudinal wave' date=' right?

What happens if the energy is not totally lost? It rebounds?[/quote']

Water waves can be transverse and longitudinal at the same time.

Since there is always friction, the energy of a wave will always be lost, unless in an ideal (imanginary) situtation.

Note - I am not sure of this infomation 100%. I am taking waves the semester, so if you see something wrong, please post it and we can be wiser. :)

I think your answer is right, the energy is lost due to several interactions with the surroundings, including friction, and if there were no dissipative forces, then the oscilatory movement would last forever.

Now, to answer the question "why does the system try to get back to equilibrium?", the answer is in perhaps the only law in Physics that is truly general*: The Principle of Minimal Action, which states that nature always tends to spend the least possible amount of energy in it's processes, and all natural systems try to achieve the least energetic configuration possible, which in this case is the so called "equilibrium".

*I say this because even the mass and enery conservation principles, the always-increasing enthropy (2nd law of thermodynamics) and many other principles are nearly falling apart as they meet the newest consequences of Chaos Theory and Non-Linear Physics, but that's another story.

spend the least possible amount of energy in it's processes

This means particles like to possess more kinetic energy than potential energy?

Water waves can be transverse and longitudinal at the same time.

Longitudinal wave is destructive to a ship in an ocean while transerve is not really much, right?

I think you slightly misunderstood my words, what I mean when I say "nature always tends to spend the least energy possible in all of it's prodesses" I mean that nature doesn't waste any energy, every natural process uses only the necessary energy, like when a toy car moves in the grass: If you add an initial speed, the car will follow a specific trajectory, depending on the sections of the grass that offer more or less opposition. You can note that the car will follow the less tough path, instead of wasting energy struggling with the grass.

About the transverse waves being less destructive... I don't really know, but common sense tells me so. Perhaps we should ask a sailor :D

Longitudinal wave is destructive to a ship in an ocean while transerve is not really much' date=' right?[/quote']

In hydrodynamics the "transverse" wave is transverse to and produced by the ship.

I think in terms of physics water waves are generally transverse waves as they are mass/gravity waves with the transverse direction being vertical.

Sound waves, compression waves, (I think) are longitudinal waves. (correct?)

All that being said I think you are correct if you are saying the forward "momentum" is the most destructive. I have some sea containers that are used for storage that were damaged at sea. The sea "punched" the forward ends in as much as 4 feet. (You should see the ones that are unusable even for storage.)

However:

Remember the "Edmund Fitzgerald" in the Gordon Lightfoot song? I think it was sunk by the transverse "portion" of the wave/waves. The ship broke up from lack of support (buoyant forces) where a (large) trough coincided with a weakness in the ship.