Fighting Off Invading ETs

Airbrush

Actually, you might be wrong in assuming they would want to invade. It is likely that an alien might have motives for coming here that we just would not be able to comprehend. or they might want to put a Hyperspace Bypass nearby and want us to build an intergalactic diner to service the traffic. They might want titan instead of earth. All those hydrocarbons just lying around might be very attractive. They might just show up, squirt a short stream of water at our sun, and fly on, leaving us mystified.(in case you are curious, they are completing a holy mission, counting coup on every star in our galaxy to appease the great gxxxyz*w$p).

What I'm trying to say is that any motives we can conceive of for an alien would be motives we feel and understand, leaving an enormous number of possible motives we haven't even conceived of because we haven't been birthed in a cold hydrocarbon sea, or a cold watery ball enclosed in ice, or even possibly a particularly dense nebulae floating in space.

Actually, you might be wrong in assuming they would want to invade. It is likely that an alien might have motives for coming here that we just would not be able to comprehend. or they might want to put a Hyperspace Bypass nearby and want us to build an intergalactic diner to service the traffic. They might want titan instead of earth. All those hydrocarbons just lying around might be very attractive. They might just show up, squirt a short stream of water at our sun, and fly on, leaving us mystified.(in case you are curious, they are completing a holy mission, counting coup on every star in our galaxy to appease the great gxxxyz*w$p).

What I'm trying to say is that any motives we can conceive of for an alien would be motives we feel and understand, leaving an enormous number of possible motives we haven't even conceived of because we haven't been birthed in a cold hydrocarbon sea, or a cold watery ball enclosed in ice, or even possibly a particularly dense nebulae floating in space.

A refreshingly and man humble perspective rarely stated slyrat. At the risk of dragging this thread into off-topic areas your suggestion alien motives for coming here could be well beyond our ability to comprehend leads me to the absurdity our species frequently demonstrates when claiming to know with absolute certainty the nature of our creator (substitute God/Supreme Being etc) without suspecting that 'creator' could actually be the aliens we keep speculating about.

A refreshingly and man humble perspective rarely stated slyrat. At the risk of dragging this thread into off-topic areas your suggestion alien motives for coming here could be well beyond our ability to comprehend leads me to the absurdity our species frequently demonstrates when claiming to know with absolute certainty the nature of our creator (substitute God/Supreme Being etc) without suspecting that 'creator' could actually be the aliens we keep speculating about.

thank you. I truly believe that if we ever break out of our solar system into the greater universe, we will find that our hopes, desires, dreams, needs, and our very lives will not matter one bit to the rest of creation. We are fly specks in the universe. One big rock could take out our whole race.

That reminds me, Airbrush. If aliens did invade and were bent on eradicating humans, I assume because they prefer mining for minerals in a gravity well, then they would be more likely to just put an engine on an asteroid, aim it, and let it go. One big rock would do us all in very nicely. You wouldn't even need a mother ship then, just a freighter with robotic mining equipment. You could drop your mining package and go on to the next star system, while another ship comes around later to pick up your processed ore.

Risk? Give us a break. Aren't you claiming knowledge of a creator after all? That's rhetorical so don't bother answering. Of course you are. Good grief.

Risk? Give us a break. Aren't you claiming knowledge of a creator after all? That's rhetorical so don't bother answering. Of course you are. Good grief.

Your obvious difficulty in grasping my actual meaning does require an answer to prevent anyone else accepting your analysis of my views.

I have no knowledge of so called supreme beings. However, further discussion of this kind belongs not here but here :-http://www.theologyonline.com

"Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations" Romans Ch 14: V 1.

Your obvious difficulty in grasping my actual meaning does require an answer to prevent anyone else accepting your analysis of my views.

I have no knowledge of so called supreme beings. However, further discussion of this kind belongs not here but here :-http://www.theologyonline.com

"blah blah blah yada yada yada" Romaninas Ch 84: V 13.

No; I had no dissiculty. I suggest we fight of invading aliens by thumping them with holy books.

Edited by Acme

Airbrush, I realized that I didn't answer your actual question.

The scenario you describe doesn't sound very realistic. First reason is one I have stated before. Any resources the aliens might want are more easily available in the asteroids or the oort cloud. Metals would be common in the asteroids, and the oort cloud would hold liquid and frozen gasses, not to mention water. If their ships didn't radiate much in the visible or infrared spectrum, we would never even know they were there.

The only reason i could see for coming to earth is if they wanted living creatures for some reason, and then they are unlikely to try to exterminate us. They might use emp weapons to reduce our ability to respond collectively, just as the show proposed.

I doubt that the borehole shotgun would be effective. The mothership would likely be parked in a distant orbit, but even if they were parked in one of the stable Lagrange points, they would be able to see the shrapnel coming towards them and either deploy countermeasures or move to evade the missiles. Likely, they would have some kind of shield, physical or otherwise, they would be able to use to protect themselves. Don't forget, they just traveled light years to get here, so their ships would have to be pretty robust to shrug off the scouring they would experience moving at any realistic speed useful for traveling between stars. A micrometeorite could be devastating without protection. Our spacecraft are barely moving compared to the speeds needed to cross interstellar distances in any useful time frame, and micrometeorites are a terrible danger to our spacecraft. A .45 caliber bullet travels about 850 feet per second, and can crack an engine block. Imagine if the combined velocities of you and the meteorite were 850 miles per second (over 5000 times as fast). A spaceship wold have to travel at least 10 times that fast to make a trip worthwhile. And the show proposes shooting a few bits of detritus at a paltry 42 miles per second, straight up out of a gravity well, and through an atmosphere? Sounds like any science in that program was hijacked by hollywood screenwriters.

>……….The only reason i could see for coming to earth is if they wanted living creatures for some reason, and then they are unlikely to try to exterminate us. They might use emp weapons to reduce our ability to respond collectively, just as the show proposed………….<

Or they'd make an alien version of foise gras out of us by force feeding us until our livers became distended and diseased just as we do to geese.

Or roast haunch of homo sapiens anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras

Apologies for the duplicate posting mess.

Edited by Dissily Mordentroge