Cable Modem Problems

Rakdos

On our home network we have calbe internet and three computers: A,B,C (not real names) the internet goes into computer A and then into the network. computer B and C get 1.75 meg out of a five meg line and computer A gets 2.5 meg is there a way to get 5 meg to all the computers on the network without buying a server. thanks for your help.

Get a router.

After the coax hits the cable modem, the cable modem is connected to the router with ethernet cable. Then all the other computers connect to the router through ethernet.

The benefits of this are enormous compared to the connect sharing you are using now. You don't need to have one computer on for the others to work, they all have a nice 100mbit connection to coax (of course that will be shared between them, but it really makes no difference) and in general it just an easier network to manage. You also get a built in firewall (as the router will discard any incoming packets not requested by a machine on the LAN).

Also, routers are relatively inexpensive now. The only problem may be running cable through your house, but you've probably already done that for connect sharing anyway.

Also, routers are relatively inexpensive now. The only problem may be running cable through your house, but you've probably already done that for connect sharing anyway.
A wireless router would solve that problem and I've found mine to work very reliably.

A wireless router would solve that problem and I've found mine to work very reliably.

Just a personal opinion.

Wireless is still more expensive.

It needs to be encrypted, if you didnt it'd be like leaving wires to your network on the street, anyone can walk up, plug in and hack you and use your connection.

Encryption will slightly slow down the whole thing, but you probably wont notice it.

Wireless can be harder to troubleshoot and from the few places that I know that have wireless they seem to be more problematic, although that might just be the user!

For me I got a wire one because cheaper... but then I do quite like having wires everywhere! What? I think it looks nice, more modern than artwork on the wall!