Genes of Happiness

Recently, TIME magazine put out a very interesting article on the science of happiness, and that the various methods of portraying the feeling, as well as the level to which it is displayed, can be attributed to a chromosomal anamoly passed on in the genetic code. Now is it just me, or can anything and everything be attributed to the "genetic code"? Shouldn't our own experience of life be ultimately controlled by us alone, God notwithstanding? Any thoughts....?

I own the genes for happiness. I know this because you can only understand happiness once you get into my genes. ;)

(Sorry' date=' I just *had* to)

Mokele[/quote']

the only science joke i ever heard was from a chem professor.

what do u call two molecules of urea?

(this is a terrible joke)

di-urea (diarrhea).

i like to entertain the idea our genetics allow for a specific amount of our environment to have an influence on us. thus making environment also partially responsible. however, when this is reduced and the fundamentals are left, it implies everything is genetically controlled. the only variable is the specific stimuli given off by the environment.

Okay.... first question. What, exactly, does a gene do?

It codes for a protein. Enzymes and hormones included, because they're proteins. This affects your response to a stimulus, but does not create a behaviour or feeling (like happiness) all by itself, without any outside stimulus. Therefore, it would be more correct to say that genes influence the way you react to something, or rather, give you a tendency to react more happily and resist negative emotions than another person with a different genetic make up.

The gene itself doesn't make you happy.

-Prod- Just thought that was a differentiation that should be made.