Can Someone explain to me the science of time?

mansamusa

There is an arbitrarily large amount of things that could be said here. But I think it boils down to the following: If the two alternatives are indistinguishable, irrespective of the experiment performed, then time being considered an illusion or not is just a label.

• 4 weeks later...

Time is simply the name for which humans have given to the chain of events that we find ourselves stuck in. It is possible to move differently in this "timeline" via speed. Time dilation ensures that more speed means less time experienced. This is why at C (the speed of light) no time would be experienced. If you were moving at C, I suppose time would seem to be an allusion, because all events would happen at once for you. You can not move at C though, unless you had infinite energy, which you can't have. So to answer your question of "is time simply an allusion?" The answer is it depends on your perspective. Due to the fact that a photon would experience millions of years as soon as we first see it, I suppose time does seem like an allusion. Time does exist though, it can be bent and warped but it does exist, because of this we must conclude that it is not an allusion, it is part of reality, just a very odd part of reality. I hope this answers your question.

It is possible to move differently in this "timeline" via speed. Time dilation ensures that more speed means less time experienced.

I would add that this is true only relatively, not in any absolute way. Local time is experienced at the normal rate, and the time of moving objects (or usually equivalently: objects that you are moving relative to) is relatively slowed while moving inertially.

More details would probably require a deeper discussion of relativity and deciding what it means to experience the time of a clock other than a local one.