Solubility of nanotubes

arauca

Do you mean carbon nanotubes? Unmodified they are pretty much insoluble. Dispersion The simplest way to disperse them is prolonged sonication, Depending on length it may not be very effective, however.

I understand the carbon nanotube are insoluble , I have been told the amophous graphite is soluble in hot toluene , but I am not sure of that

Now I am interested in carbon nanotube with hydroxy functionality, I might agree with you they might not be soluble but dispersible . I would like some sugestion if the tubes could be sepparated

from amorphous graphite by preferentioal solvent ?

With regards to hydroxylation: hydroxylated multiwalled carbon nanotubes have been shown to be soluble in water with up to about 1 mg/ml. For single-walled I read up to 8 or 9, but I forgot whether they used hydroxylation or any other functionalization.

I still do not fully understand your question though. Do you need a method to enrich nanotubes? If that is the question I would do a specific search for this in the literature because there are a lot of different approaches for that including phase-separation techniques. But I do not know the lit off the top of my head.

With regards to hydroxylation: hydroxylated multiwalled carbon nanotubes have been shown to be soluble in water with up to about 1 mg/ml. For single-walled I read up to 8 or 9, but I forgot whether they used hydroxylation or any other functionalization.

I still do not fully understand your question though. Do you need a method to enrich nanotubes? If that is the question I would do a specific search for this in the literature because there are a lot of different approaches for that including phase-separation techniques. But I do not know the lit off the top of my head.

It is interesting to me , the solubility of Hydroxylated multywalled carbon nanotube , I deffinitively would like to see this literature , I am not challenging I just like to be assured , because I will be trying to sepparate , some of the functional tubes from graphite .

Thank you kindly

My son is ttying to produce some and I will have to help him to sepparate the tubes (SWHC)