Grasshopper, locust, and evolution

kuala

Grasshoppers transform into locusts under certain adverse conditions. Obviously this is a survival strategy of the species. How did this kind of ‘collective wisdom’ develop? Is this explainable by evolution?

Random mutation can probably explain structural enhancements of organisms, but seems a bit far fetch for that kind of survival strategies. There are many similar examples so there be must heaps of research into this area. Grateful for any pointers.

Edited by kuala

Just to clarify, the locust designation is given to grasshopper species that swarm.

In nature, it is excessive tactile stimulation of their hind-legs(due to overcrowding), that causes the transformation via increased serotonin levels.

I generally see evolution as working via a simpler if inexact methodology as compared to a more complex and precise human solution.

If I had to guess I would say that the swarming behavior evolved from something more mundane. Considering the range of grasshopper species the trait occurs across, it is probably ancestral.