Reforming education with biofeedback?

So if we implement biofeedback, neurofeedback, neurotherapy, etc. Similar like programs into elemntary schools. Teach younger people about their cortex, limbic system, brains parts and more importantley what they do, how they effect us, and how we can consciously control our subconscious.

Could we hypothetically see a more cognitive adult/next generation?

For instance if after ages 3-7 from much therapy on teaching children to build their own self esteem and not focus on depression, anxiety, and anger. Could we notice a different in brain activity from different areas compared to someone who never had that therapy?

Such things may help some, but I was so traumatized at that age that I needed years of therapy, which did not happen. Rather, I suffered throughout elementary and high school. I have grown out of it, and continue to do so. There is no substitute for a happy childhood, and drug addicted or poor parents who struggle for necessities and endure poor health care are less likely to produce happy children than people who have the necessities and good health care. The situation is more complicated and difficult to manage than I can understand. But, I am sure there is no one simple thing that will cure all.

I'll tell you first hand experience, as a child I grew up with drug addicted parents. My father was murdered by my moms drug dealer, right after I turned five. He sobered up and couldn't get her to. I've been abused, molested, and been through all sorts of things a child should never have to endure. I'm not looking for a simple one cure all thing. Just educational reform.

This wouldn't aim to just make children happy, but make them enjoy school, build their self esteem, and teach them to recognize their subconscious.

Edited by too-open-minded

I'll tell you first hand experience, as a child I grew up with drug addicted parents. My father was murdered by my moms drug dealer, right after I turned five. He sobered up and couldn't get her to. I've been abused, molested, and been through all sorts of things a child should never have to endure. I'm not looking for a simple one cure all thing. Just educational reform.

This wouldn't aim to just make children happy, but make them enjoy school, build their self esteem, and teach them to recognize their subconscious.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences. And glad that you have proven a survivor; you may well be stronger than most other people as a result.

I'm not sure if your proposed neurobiology plan would work but recently I was watching a News report detailing a new scheme that has been introduced here in the UK to teach primary school children, using language and concepts that are age-appropriate, about the nature of physical, sexual, psychological and emotional abuse: how to identify it and recognising that abuse is not acceptable. Whether or not they included information on what to do/who to inform should the child be the victim of abuse, I am not sure, but I think that this would be a very good idea. Perhaps one of the problems with child abuse is that the child is unable to identify abuse when it happens; if they are always treated a certain way by people (especially if those people are their parents or primary caregivers) then they are likely to normalise it and expect to be treated in that way. They may have an intuitive feeling that something is wrong, but they lack the language of adults to specify what is happening - this new educational programme hopefully will give children a voice.

Have you considered working in this area? Perhaps you could work with children and protect them from harm, so preventing children from having to experience what you experienced yourself as a child. You would probably also be more empathetic with the children - I bet that you would be good at this, and they certainly need somebody to protect them.

Here's the link to the News report, before I forget:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24667936

Should nine year-olds learn about sex abuse?

25 October 2013 Last updated at 10:26 BST

The NSPCC says it is now dealing with more than 50 children a day who are suffering because of neglect.

But a new project for primary school children is aiming to raise awareness and help those affected.

Graham Satchell reports

too-open-minded and Tridimity,

I think both your ideas are good ones.

A child who is abused from an early age does not have a comparison for abuse vs being treated good; thus, abuse will seem normal. When I was about 12, a scout master tried to explain to me that my stepfather was a bad person, but at the time it made me feel bad as if he had criticized me. Thus, teaching children about abuse will probably be full of booby traps that have unintended consequences. I hope the teachers are well trained and the material is prepared by experts.

Teaching children about abuse, that's one thing. A good idea mind you, although theirs so many variables. Would the child want to get HRS involved, talk about their dark experiences, tell on someone they fear?

I think their should be programs that recognize abused children, because so many public school teachers notice the hints but do nothing. They don't really have much to do about it though with our current system. However children being abused doesn't only happen because people want to abuse children although some do. Mostly down to the root of it, the problem stems from social problems. Much like gun control and abortion, you can outlaw guns or abortions but the problem to cause those issues to arise is still in the air.

I think educational reform in the sense of making school enjoyable for children, building their self esteem, and teaching them about biofeedback/neurofeedback/neurotherapy/being able to recognize their subconscious would have a massive impact on their psyche. Enough of an impact to make a more positive generation, who would parent a more positive generation. Kind of like a snowball effect.

Would the child want to get HRS involved, talk about their dark experiences, tell on someone they fear?

I think their should be programs that recognize abused children, because so many public school teachers notice the hints but do nothing.

The child would probably be a bit apprehensive because i. they might fear punishment from their parent/caregiver ii. except for the periods of abuse, the parent/caregiver might care for the children, and so the children might still love the parent/caregiver in their own way, and so will not want to do anything that might destroy whatever glimmer of a normal functional parent/child relationship they have. Regardless of the temporary stress and anxiety that talking about their experiences may cause, it is the only way for a responsible adult e.g. a teacher to find out about what is happening and to take steps to protect the child. No matter how many suspicions a teacher may have, if the child does not openly discuss the abuse, then the teacher is unable to do anything to help the child. That is why the new educational programme is so important in my opinion.

Laws against child abuse probably focus on physical abuse, because it is easier to prove than psychological abuse. But, telling a child they are worthless and stupid, and withholding approval and love is also damaging, but difficult to prosecute, even if there are laws against such behavior. Thus, I think teaching about child abuse in addition to increased vigilance and prosecution is important. However, the unloved unappreciated child has needs that are unlikely to be fulfilled; moreover, they are likely to remain in their environment. Consequently, being trapped in a bad environment is likely affect their psyche poorly, especially if they have been taught to realize their condition and understand there is no hope of authorities helping them.

Laws against child abuse probably focus on physical abuse, because it is easier to prove than psychological abuse. But, telling a child they are worthless and stupid, and withholding approval and love is also damaging, but difficult to prosecute, even if there are laws against such behavior. Thus, I think teaching about child abuse in addition to increased vigilance and prosecution is important. However, the unloved unappreciated child has needs that are unlikely to be fulfilled; moreover, they are likely to remain in their environment. Consequently, being trapped in a bad environment is likely affect their psyche poorly, especially if they have been taught to realize their condition and understand there is no hope of authorities helping them.

I suppose one way of obtaining evidence of psychological/emotional abuse would be to secretly record the parent's interactions with their child. I find it very disturbing indeed that we live in a society where adults and institutions are so harshly reprimanded for written or oral abuse (take Twitter and libel cases as an example) yet almost nothing is done to protect children who are constantly fed negative opinions about themselves from their parents and who are denied love. The situation is complicated by the fact that, unless the child has interaction with another caregiver who actually loves them and shows them that love, then the child is likely to regard the treatment received at the hands of their parents as normal and so will be less likely to report it to a trustworthy adult. In this sense, psychological and emotional abuse is perhaps the worst form, since it lacks the potential to be identified at an early stage, in contrast to physical abuse which usually leaves visible evidence.

Honestly, if we value our educators like we do our doctors or lawyers. I think kids would love their teachers, love education, love the environment. I think school should captivate a childs imagination and interests. We could literally make education be the safe haven for abused children. Mind you a educational reform like the one i'm talking about, would consider all children abused in one way or another. From psychological, to physically, to just ill parenting. Abused in the sense that they need a better system.

Lets stop all the hypothetical talk though, you guys wanna know how I think we can get this done?

Edited by too-open-minded

Well first off, we need an agenda. With that said, I think reform of the public educational system is a broad subject that can be supported by a large group of people. We need a advocates who want a revolution in Americas public school system.

Which relative to the rest of the world, may not be the best. It is one of the better systems however. So taking the approach of gathering the general public or even a descant sized statistic of people would be a rigorous task.

Not impossible, but realistically not very likely to happen. Especially in the context of our countries current economy.

To be realistic about a program like the one I am talking about, it would have to start off as a privatized one. Something only the upper class can afford.

But how do we start a private program and what would the curriculum be and how can we possibly know Biofeedback/Neurotherapy would even help in education? This is where my paper comes in, I'll try and correlate what Neurofeedback has done for Autism, high anxiety disorders, and other mental abnormalities with what it could do for the average child.