Best areas to teach yourself for everyday practical purposes?

Samuel1988

Morning all,

I studied various science subjects at school/college/university and I am interested in getting some books to help me learn about different areas in science which will benefit me practically.

For example, I have my own allotment patch so having scientific knowledge of various different areas will help enable me to get the most out of my plot (e.g. soil food webs, plant nutritional requirements, food preservation, planting by the moon etc).

I was just wondering what areas of science would be useful for me to teach myself which will aid me practically in everyday life?

Im particularly interested in things such as attempting to build a solar panel etc.

Thank you for your help,

Samuel

You don't want to build a solar panel (you don't have the equipment, you will never reach any reasonable efficiency - sorry), but maybe you can build a solar boiler. It's a lot easier, and it will save you at least as much money on your energy bill. (Still, make sure to have some professional help if you connect it to the system of the house).

Completely unbiased by the fact that I studied chemical engineering, I would advise you to study chemical engineering, or mechanical engineering. You will understand a lot of everyday issues a lot better.

Such a broad ranging question, it's difficult to answer or narrow down.

Try reading

Cats' Paws and Catapaults

By Steven Vogel

Penguin.

It is a small book that compares how nature does things with how man's technology achieves results and examines what you need to know to understand the workings of the world and apply it to your own needs.

From what you say you should have no trouble understanding it and it may inspire you to narrow down you interest to some specific area.

The book is probably available very cheaply second hand.