pseudohermaphrodite and runway models (NOT SPAM)

Guest mishafp

Guest mishafp

Hi, I do not really know where else to find out the answer to this question. A friend of mine told me that runway models have a particularly high incidents of being pseudohermaphrodites, and I do not know if there is any validity at all in this claim (she is trying to say that this is why they are so much less "curvy" than real women, and thus given women an unrealistic view of what is possible). Anyway, any links, sources to verify this claim would be greatly appriciated. Sorry for the unconventional question

Guest mishafp

more info- apperantly the techincal condition is androgen insensitivity syndrome or testicular feminization. I would really like something credible to back up this claim- does anyone know?

• 1 year later...

Hey I was actually looking for info on pseudohermaphrodites for my women and gender studies class and came across your post. My professor did tell us that super models are more likely to be pseudohermaphrodites. I will ask her exactly why and get back to you ASAP!

Just a nitpick, I don't think models are less curvy, they're just slim and tall but with normal waist:hip ratios etc. There's a difference. And models are real women too! OK nitpick over :) I've was just learning about this kind of thing a couple of weeks ago. I've been told that pseudohermaphrodites with androgen insensitivity (genetically male and with internal testes but female external body shape as they don't respond to the testosterone the testes produce) are totally female in appearance and identity, but do tend to be "tall and attractive" - this is according to a medical consultant who diagnoses them. As an example we were shown a picture of a woman modelling in a bikini. So I have no idea if they are more likely to be models but it's plausible! Also they have no pubic hair so would not have to have every bit of themselves waxed!!

Just a nitpick, I don't think models are less curvy, they're just slim and tall but with normal waist:hip ratios etc. There's a difference. And models are real women too! OK nitpick over :) I've was just learning about this kind of thing a couple of weeks ago. I've been told that pseudohermaphrodites with androgen insensitivity (genetically male and with internal testes but female external body shape as they don't respond to the testosterone the testes produce) are totally female in appearance and identity, but do tend to be "tall and attractive" - this is according to a medical consultant who diagnoses them. As an example we were shown a picture of a woman modelling in a bikini. So I have no idea if they are more likely to be models but it's plausible! Also they have no pubic hair so would not have to have every bit of themselves waxed!!

This was on House. A runway model didn't know what was wrong with her. It turns out, she had testicular cancer.

Your friend is either unknowlegable or he/she is jealous of the models to make that claim; perhaps after watching that eplisode on House gave a bad influence on him/her. I dont see any study to prove that fashion models have higher incidence of AIS.

Being tall has more to do with growth hormones and growth plates on bones than they do with androgen or estrogen effects. So being taller doesnt neccessarily mean they are more likely candidates of AIS because they would be affected by estrogen more.

And Tigerrunner. I'd tell your prof straight up that he/she is wrong for making that assertion without any proof.

I mean its certainly possible, but I'd rather see proof than make a random accusation like that based on nothing more than opinions.

Being tall has more to do with growth hormones and growth plates on bones than they do with androgen or estrogen effects.

Testosterone is essential in genetic males though, to fuse the growth plates and halt growth. Castrati opera singers who were castrated before puberty grew very tall. Also the oestrogens the pseudohermaphrodites are producing would act unopposed by testosterone, which normally has some effect in women, so they would be expected to be particularly tall and feminine-looking.

As for the House episode, some of their biochemical stories are not realistic. I'd have thought the poor woman would have noticed something was wrong before, having no periods and only a partial vagina...

Of course, but the effects of growth hormones on height is greater than the effects testosterone or estrogen has. Why else is it that males are generally taller than females, given that males have more testosterone production and more testosterone receptors on their cells?

Yes house eplisdoes are fairly exagerated from the truth and are very rare conditions.

• 2 years later...

I got to this site looking for confirmation of a description in Jared Diamond's book Why is Sex Fun? (pg 43) that describes the mechanics of how one type of "pseudohermaphrodite looks like a normal woman. Indeed 'she' conforms to the male ideal of female pulchritude even more closely than does the average woman." (in particular long legs and large breasts) and cites "repeated" cases of beautiful woman fashion models turning out to be men.

There don't seem to be many references for a science site....

Looks like we are talking about complete androgen insensitivity syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgen_insensitivity_syndrome

Sorry, no links to TV shows :-(