Chemical binding through thin (as in single atoms) structures?

royan

Yes, Van Der Waals forces, for example- look up graphite's structure.

For a more detailed answer try to explain what you mean a bit more, but graphite is a prime example of what you're talking about.

I'm sorry, you'll have to be bare with me here, I'm still not sure what you mean, and I think others might have trouble too... let's determine exactly what you mean so that you can get a good answer to your question:

What I am looking for is a type of "glue" using encased chemicals.

What do you mean by "... "glue" using encased chemicals." that doesn't quite make sense, can you please try to rephrase that if possible?

Since chemicals can only bind to certain chemicals this glue would be programmable and useful in nanotechnology.

When you say chemicals I'll assume that you mean molecules? I'm not aware of anything able to do this... or know that it's possible.

The reason certain molecular substances don't bond is purely to do with stability and valence capacity of molecules/atoms. Though, I still don't know what you mean really, but I suspect what you're looking for is unknown/impossible, because if any of us knew of such a substance, we'd be making millions off already, or it would already be in used.

Just out of interest, what benefit would be gained out of having such a 'glue'?

Edited by Iota

I'm sorry, you'll have to be bare with me here, I'm still not sure what you mean, and I think others might have trouble too... let's determine exactly what you mean so that you can get a good answer to your question:

What do you mean by "... "glue" using encased chemicals." that doesn't quite make sense, can you please try to rephrase that if possible?

When you say chemicals I'll assume that you mean molecules? I'm not aware of anything able to do this... or know that it's possible.

The reason certain molecular substances don't bond is purely to do with stability and valence capacity of molecules/atoms. Though, I still don't know what you mean really, but I suspect what you're looking for is unknown/impossible, because if any of us knew of such a substance, we'd be making millions off already, or it would already be in used.

Just out of interest, what benefit would be gained out of having such a 'glue'?

yes molecules of chemicals that are ( for example) trapped in a ball, in what state I do not know- how thin does this ball have to be in order to attract another chemical (that it can bond to). Think of magnets attracting on a think surface.

Will these chemicals be able to bond in any way, or will the electrons not act because of the ball in witch it lies?

"What I am looking for is a type of "glue" using encased chemicals"

What could you hope to encase them in?

All the stuff we have is made of chemicals

There are molecules made of chains of single atoms though they are not generally very stable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyyne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotropes_of_sulfur#Solid_catena_sulfur_allotropes

• 2 weeks later...