Computer Problems... : P

Callipygous

For christmas this year I got a new motherboard and processor and a new graphics card. Both are PCI express and therefor incompatible with my old ones (people have been suggesting i switch them out one at a time). I took out my old Mobo/proc and gfx card and replaced them with the new ones, found out the new Mobo is designed for SATA drives instead of ATA, mine are ATA. I have 2 ROM drives and 2 harddrives, at least 3 of which i need to have available. so i went out and got a PC I card that gives me 2 extra IDE slots. put it all together and turn it on. it gives me a screen that asks if i want to boot in safe mode, says the screen might be showing up because of hardware changes, so whatever, makes sense... i have tried start normally and start in safe mode and every time it pauses for a second and then restarts.

when i choose safe mode it shows me that it is loading a bunch of files, so i dont think the problem is with my harddrive itself. i have tried every combination of every bios setting i think could possibly be related to boot process. im all out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

when you boot in safe mode you normally get that list of files being loaded, that's normal.

quite likely what you have is a hardware error.

new motherboard and processor and a new graphics card. Both are PCI express and therefor incompatible with my old ones

motherboards and processors are not PCI express. do you mean that the motherboard can handle PCI express and that your graphics card is PCI express?

and when you say compatable with your "old ones" what do you mean by "ones"?

when you boot in safe mode you normally get that list of files being loaded' date=' that's normal.

quite likely what you have is a hardware error.

motherboards and processors are not PCI express. do you mean that the motherboard can handle PCI express and that your graphics card is PCI express?

and when you say compatable with your "old ones" what do you mean by "ones"?[/quote']

motherboard supports PCI express, and not agp. graphics card is PCI express.

by "ones" i mean that my none of my old stuff (mobo, proc, gfx card) is compatible with anyone of the new ones. i suppose the processors and gfx cards could work together but the mobo and procs arent compatible and the mobos and gfx cards arent compatible.

what kind of hardware error?

well if the new mobo is compatable with the new gfx card that should be fine

is it an old or new processor?

if its the old then the mobo and proc may not be compatable so it'd be a hardware compatability error.

yes i do, but its the most common and usual problem which seems not be to solveable (at first).

i mean, what can go wrong with hardware?

it can totaly fail, well this is all new.

you can put it in the wrong slot or upside down (i hope you dont do that!)

there may not be a power source... well there is!

basically what we have here is that it all works but doesnt work properly... why would that be? obviously something somewhere is working, just not properly.

what would cause something to work only semi-properly? maybe the computer as a whole isnt working together properly?

compatability errors are very common.

... was that meant as a general observation or an attack at my suggestion?

Personally, I would try a fresh install of whatever you're running onto a spare harddrive and see if that cures the problem. If there's one thing Windows doesn't like, it's major components like the motherboard being changed.

actually changing out major components is something windows handles fairly well. the mobo and proc are deffinately compatible, they were bought for each other buy my uncle, who has worked for intel his entire life. i tried a whole bunch of trash with drivers and sepperate windows installs and all that kind of thing, got my comp up and running, but couldnt get my files. so i said "hey windows, fix yourself" and it did! : ) so all those people who smugly tell you microshaft's windows repair doesnt do anything can stuff it, cause it worked beautifully.

for anyone who was wondering, my uncle says its most likely because i switched from a regular processor to one with hyperthreading, which the os sees as 2 processors. unlike switching out something like a harddrive, switching from 1 to 2 processors WILL make windows very unhappy.

What you've done is to grab Windows from it's comfy armchair by the fire and chuck it into a cold lake. It's in shock. Everything it knew and loved has gone and it's trying hard to work out what the hell is going on.

Windows doesn't like to be moved from one PC to another - even if you could get into the OS it would spend the next month and a half installing and rebooting while it tries to piece things back together.

If it survives that far it's going to have a registry that's the size and shape of a badly disfigured planet.

Be nice - reinstall Windows, plump up the pillows in the armchair and build an nice warm fire for the little chap.

Footnote (not related to this thread so no offence intended): Most of the problems people come to this forum with would be resolved quickly and easily with a simple reinstall of the OS. It seems odd that people resist reinstallation so much. I support more than 40,000 PC's in a large organisation and we have a simple rule: if it's a machine problem and you can't fix it within 10 minutes then reinstall the OS from scratch. Using disc imaging software this takes about 15 minutes (just long enough for a coffee) - job done, everybody happy! :)

im not a business of 40k pcs. im a teenager who doesnt back stuff up. anything i want is on my harddrive and only on my harddrive. in situations where your experiencing crashes its ok cause you can pull some of your files off between shutdowns. i wanted my stuff, that means no reformat. but yeah, you said you werent talking about me, so oh well.

the problem i have is reinstalling means reinstalling EVERYTHING. every game, every program, all drivers... this is why people resist it. most people dont have Ghost and cant put back 10 gigs in 4 and a half minutes(which is about how long it took us in my computer repair class).