ferromagnet

apparently you can get some from inside speakers, but that last speaker i had there wasn't any inside, is it to do with quality, size, age or what?

is there ferromagnets inside speakers?

if so, which ones?

how would you recognise a "tweeter" speaker? (compared to a normal one?)

To be honest I have no idea. The only real experience I have with them is seeing them pop up on ebay with ferrofluid in the name. Also, I'm pretty sure that they are only used in high-end speakers and if you find some you would probably be better off selling them and buying the ferrofluid.

A tweeter is a speaker which outputs higher frequency sound waves. They are responsible for high pitched instruments, voices, and general sounds you hear in movies and music (Basically the treble part of a sound setup). Woofers are designed to output the lower frequency sound waves. They are generally responsible for the bass sounds in music and audio. Subwoofers output the really low frequency sound waves and are responsible for the thumping and vibration you feel when listening to music/movies with deep bass.

So even the cheap speakers have tweeters and woofers. It's just that the more expensive ones have better quality tweeters and woofers in them.

So even the cheap speakers have tweeters and woofers.

so even cheap speakers would have ferrofluid in them?

i mean, those really basic component speakers that you use to make a buzzing sound dont have, but should any general stereo have ferrofulid in?

what im trying to get to is that i have some old stereo speakers which i can take apart, will they have ferrofluid inside them?

how much money for how much ferrofluid? (in UK pounds if you can) how is it transported/contained? like in a glass tube or what?

4 pounds for 30ml. Thats just a number of the top of my head so if you're serious we can work something out. I can probably find/buy a container somewhere depending on how much you would want. I have some small glass vials around.

ok, i'll see if i can get any ferrofluid outta old speakers, or should i say tweeters!? and if not i'll come for you and your ferrofluid supplies with some money!

just outta interest, how did YOU obtain your ferrofluid?

how can you make it?

You cant make real ferrofluid without chemicals and lab equipment. Try searching on http://forum.4hv.org/ I think "Andrew" successful did it. Other than that I have heard of no one else.

There are ways to make crappy fluids. If you search google you will find many of these recipes. Generally mixing magnetite(from sand) with mineral oil or corn syrup. I have heard of people also taking the magnetic dust from VHS tapes and mixing it with a fluid. Rust is also slightly ferromagnetic so you could try that too. Unfortunately none of these will create the “spiking” that makes ferrofluid so cool.

a) what is ferrofluid's chemical composition?

Tons of info.

The fluid is mineral oil based.

b) can you touch it? (with your fingers?)[/i'].... without harming yourself!

Yes, you can. Its a very weird feeling to put your finger in one of those spikes. However, I would not recommend it because it does stain your finger for some time.

Yes, you can. Its a very weird feeling to put your finger in one of those spikes. However, I would not recommend it because it does stain your finger for some time.

is that one of things which you just have to do and then regret doing it once you've done it?

just thinking, i read that ferrofluid will evaporate if you leave a spiky model on display, so how is it best stored? in a bottle? if i wanted to keep it on display, would i need to put in a sealed glass box or something?

just thinking, i read that ferrofluid will evaporate if you leave a spiky model on display, so how is it best stored? in a bottle? if i wanted to keep it on display, would i need to put in a sealed glass box or something?

Yes, but its not somthing you would want to leave sitting out in the open anyway. It gets on everything.