Borazole ?????????????

Dhawal

I would guess that it's because the electron density is concentrated around the Nitrogen atoms and not spread out evenly amongst all the 'ring' atoms like it is in benzene. (Since in benzene all the ring atoms are carbon atoms, so the electron density is evenly spread out which results in no 'charged' areas). In the borazole molecule, the electron density will be a bit higher around the nitrogen atoms since nitrogen is more electronegative than boron. This will result in charged areas of the molecule which will destabilize it overall and lead to a higher reactivity. In addition, looking at the position of both Boron and Nitrogen on the periodic table, the nitrogen atom would like to 'obtain' 3 electrons in a bond while boron would like to 'donate' them. In the borazole molecule, both the boron and nitrogen atoms have 4 bonds in a sense. This isn't an enegertically favored state for either of the atoms, so they would rather react with something and obtain that optimal number of bonds. (If I am incorrect, please somebody correct me since I'm just making this basis on logical assumption based upon what I know. O-Chem was always a bit of an iffy subject for me. :D)

Thanks Man

Even I am not too sure but here's what I think

Since Borazole is a non polar compound which I read somewhere and Benzene a Polar one its reactivity shd obviously be more than Benzene !

DOONT ASK ME WHY ITS NON POLAR!

Ummm......... Benzene is 100%, completely non-polar. :D Also, the polarity of a substance doesn't define whether or not it is highly reactive. Fluorine gas is a completely non-polar substance, but it's one of the most reactive things known to man. Meanwhile, Nitrogen gas is another non polar substance, but it really isn't all that reactive. So you can't define reactivity based upon the polarity of a compound.

lol. Nah. I'm half Lithuanian, 1/4 German, and 1/4 Irish. :D On Borazole I would think that there would be some localized charges since the nitrogen and boron atoms do have differing electronegativities. I'm not 100% sure of that though.

• 4 years later...

Borazine is called inorganic benzene this is due to isostructural with benzene.

Inorganic benzene is more reactive than benzene. It reacts with hydrogen chloride in an addition reaction. If borazine were truly aromatic like benzene this reaction would not occur without a Lewis acid catalyst.

Borazine is called inorganic benzene this is due to isostructural with benzene.

Inorganic benzene is more reactive than benzene. It reacts with hydrogen chloride in an addition reaction. If borazine were truly aromatic like benzene this reaction would not occur without a Lewis acid catalyst.

Benzene does not react with HCl even with a lewis acid catalyst.

Borazine is at best weakly "aromatic" due to lone pair delocalization. Even with the resonance structures, at any given time, half the ring is electron deficient molecules and the other half are electron rich, contributing to it's high reactivity.