Breaking magnets

psi20

If it's a "super magnet" you're probably out of luck. A wire EDM (electric discharge machine) might be able to cut it, but you'd probably be able to buy 10 magnets of the size you want for what it would cost to burn it in half.

It it's not a very strong magnet, you might be able to saw it in half with a hacksaw, if you have a saw and vise in which to hold it. (If chips sticking to the saw blade and in the cut are a problem, use duct tape to get them off.)

Keep in mind that heating a magnet will tend to demagnetize it to some degree. If you go above the Curie point, all you'll have left is the residual magnetism from sitting in the earth's field.

Mechanical shock can weaken it, too.

be carefull if it`s the bonded ferrite type, it`s almost like a charcoal black ceramic, and will shatter just as badly as glass and be just as sharp.

the use of a glass cutter to scribe a weakness in the outer surface along the line you want it cut and then a short sharp and breif tap along this line will work quite well 50% of the time.

ok, now im confused!

i've looked at ordering NIBs from sites and they issue warning as the attractive forces between them can cause them to break.

i have a few, the force between them broke one in half.

yet YT says they wont. this again is a point like in a thread about NIB sizes in HDDs, i honestly cant say you're wrong because i just dont know, what i can say is that NIBs have brittle safety warning on them and ive broken them (all from their own forces), not saying YT is wrong, but either way something is dodgy!