Really Worried About My Future

ShaneJ

Hey, I am really worried about my future. I love science so much but i find the exam really difficult but i know all the stuff in class and at home. I get into bits when i get into that exam room and to make it worse i am dyslexic and i find it extremely difficult to read the questions and interpret them. I really want to have a job in Science. I have such a passion for this subject but i cant pass the exams. I am in the UK but i really dont know what to do. I did my double award GCSE exams last mount and i am constantly thinking about how i did if i will get a B to get onto the A-level course. I do BTEC Level 2 Diploma as an extra in school and get D* but this qualification is not highly reguarded and i would not get onto a science degree with a Level 3 diploma. What do you think i should do??? Please Help, everyday i worrie about this

I think your best option would be to work with a cognitive behavioral therapist to help you deal with (what sounds like) your anxiety response to test situations. It sounds like you have a phobia and panic reaction to exam settings, and you need to work on extinguishing that response and practice being more calm. This is hard work and takes effort, but if I'm correct about the cause, it will have long lasting benefit for you. Cognitive behavioral therapy done well can work wonders.

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound harsh, but it is something to consider: If you freak out like that then you probably shouldn't be messing around with science.

Now, that's not to say you should give up either. I love science, otherwise I wouldn't be on this site posting a reply to your post. I think science is a great thing for anyone to learn and it is very fortunate that you have such a passion for the field. We need more people learning about how things work and how to make them better! Now forgive me if I get a little corny here, but science is composed of many problems. As a scientist your job will be to solve those problems. From my perspective, you have a problem. Therefore it seems fair to say that as an aspiring scientist you should be able to solve this problem. I can assure you there will be many more problems besides just this one and you really shouldn't let it stop you.

Now that the pep talk is over, let's talk about possible solutions:

1. Think about the end. Picture yourself where you want to be! Whether it's in the field researching new flora and fauna or in the lab testing some new reaction between chemicals or in the classroom tutoring the next generation, think about how great it would feel to see yourself there. Just remember that this is merely a step to getting there! It is not a roadblock that will terminally hinder you.

2. Ask for help. I know you're probably doing this already in real life, but keep it up. Talk to instructors and see if they can provide accomodations. Form study groups with the class to try and get an idea of how they handle their stress. See what other people do and see if it helps you.

3. Simulation - Yep, that's right! Create the test environment and try to solve your own stress! This may require talking to the instructor, but find some way to get ahold of a mock up test (tests preferably as you may need several to practice), set a time limit and start working on it. When you are finished, grade your answers or have someone else do it if you are collaborating. See how you did and try to solve your own problems. This is my favorite method personally but that's just because, well, I'm a pragamatist.

And these are not the only options either. There many things you could do to solve this! Don't think of it as a problem, think of it as opportunity.

-The Pragamatist