Trusting Myself and My Ambitions

Ben Banana

I guess I'm sort of fanatic about fundamental computer science -- as well its philosophical tangents -- such as the meaning of computation in humanity's context and sometimes including technology in general. Over the years I have held onto deep and seemingly novel concepts, even while trying to merely grasp them myself. My eccentric views only continue to solidify and narrow. As excited as I can be to share my own ideas and thoughts, I'm not ready (prepared or even conclusive) to convey them for others' judgement. This topic applies to science as a whole. Our matter of philosophy today is: As an earnest, committed and ambitious participant in a particular field of common human thought, how can I trust myself, my work and my ambitions? Do I need to? How can I effectively self-reflect on my work, including its robustness, acceptability and sensibility? Is that possible? Oh the anxiety!

Cheers and stuff.

- Me

Edited by Ben Banana

*bump*

To clarify. This topic fits in the subject of scientific philosophy. At least from my understanding, the "scientific method" clearly appears useless in most steps of scientific practice. It embodies ideal, rather than effective practice. I need help -- perhaps even mere anecdotes -- to understand the reality of science.

Edited by Ben Banana

• 4 weeks later...

If you dont follow your ambition then you are not truly yourself,Well you would be on some level, But you would never reach your full potential. You never know what you could achieve, have hope in your thoughts and im sure you will get somewhere you find relative in your life.

Doing things without error is difficult, and the scientific method is supposed to help one eliminate errors. In that regard it is simple. However, doing things without error is difficult, even if we use the scientific method, whether we are novice or an expert.

To use the scientific method effectively, we must always question whether our ideas and thoughts are correct or erroneous. In fact, we often need help to be able to see our own errors, because our brains hate for us to be wrong. The scientific method includes a process called peer review to expose our errors. Since you are not ready to share your ideas, you obviously have the same anxiety about sharing ideas as others. You don't want some one to say, you screwed up.

Sometimes, new ideas overturn older ones, and these situations sometimes result in bitter battles. Scientists must be tough to endure peer review and accept that they are wrong whenever they are. To prepare, one must do everything in their power to assure themselves their ideas are correct, before they publish. Colleagues can help by reviewing your ideas before you tell the entire world. But, before you tell a colleague, you will want to assure yourself, to the best of your ability, that you have not made an error. Thus, you must use logic, mathematics, experiment, and anything else you can think of to convince yourself you are right. If you have doubts about your ideas, you probably are not ready to publish.

Sometimes talking things over with a friend or family member helps to find errors, even if they do not understand what your are talking about.