Essay on Dark Matter and Dark Energy

nbj622

Today, about 14 billion light years following the Big Bang, the energy composition of the Universe is approximately the following:

4.5% Matter: 4% Atoms + .5% mostly-massless particles

23.5% Dark Matter

72% Dark Energy

However, just 400 thousand years after the Big Bang, the makeup of the Universe was approximately the following:

37% Matter: 12% Atoms + 25% mostly-massless particles

63% Dark Matter

0% Dark Energy

dark_matter_graphs.jpg

Notice that the proportion of Dark Energy has increased substantially over time and the proportions of dark matter and matter decreased. There also seems to be a generally constant proportion of about 6:1 for dark matter to atoms (matter with mass).

Also note that the amount of energy in the Universe has always remained a constant since the Big Bang.

I believe that the following conceptual illustration explains the origin and progression of dark matter, dark energy, and regular matter.

dark_matter.jpg

To understand how the makeup of the universe has evolved over time, one must start from the beginning and explain everything in terms of simplistic circles.

Prior to the Big Bang, there was a singularity, explained by a single circle. This illustrates the Universe in a perfect state of order.

As time goes on the universe has been 'expanding'.

To describe expansion, one might normally draw an circle of increasing perimeter. However, I propose that it must be conceptualized differently.

To describe expansion, I will draw circles within circles, because in this concept, if we drew the circle bigger, it would imply an increase in energy - and since the Universe is not increasing in energy, but simply getting larger - I will illustrate this by creating more circles within circles.

The circles within circles concept explains a notion of increasing 'depth/scale' - which can be equated with an expansion in space.

I'm also using a VERY SIMPLISTIC model. It is not drawn exactly, and is only meant to conceptualize 3 types of energy, however, an illustration showing their exact progression over time might be done using my approach, but it would require a much more precise measurement of areas, numbers of circles, configuration of circles, and so forth.

What's basically happening is that new circles are being created and grouped by time, during the expansion of the universe. Each white circle represents matter, such as baryons and leptons, therefore time appears to be pushing the white circles deeper-in during universal expansion. Therefore, as new circles are drawn, only the inner-most circles are considered to be matter. The outer circles still exist, but they are no longer considered matter - though their outline is still necessary to visualize expansion. Over time, the total area of the white circles, compared to the area of the encompassing circle, shrinks, signifying a drop in the total matter to dark energy ratio. (since dark energy and regular matter are tied to area)

Dark matter, on the other hand, is not represented by a single circle (or area), instead it is represented by the connection between circles. So over time, as more circles are added inside other circles, a 6:1 ratio of connections to circles still exists (as illustrated).

Finally as for Dark Energy - well its pretty simple - its a result of the space between circles. Expansion forces the creation of empty space and these illustrations falls in line with its common interpretation as a vacuum energy of space (i.e. cosmological constant).

It might also be said that the number of [mostly] massless particles (photons and neutrinos) are decreasing, as a function of the size of the circles and/or connections. Connections and/or circles decreasing in physical size = less photons and neutrinos.

Over time, the expansion of the universe creates lots of circles within circles - which are not homogenous like in this diagram. So 13-14 billion years later, the universe finds itself somewhere within this circles within circles illustration, and we end up with the matter/energy makeup that is currently observed.

And there you have it! A simple illustration for the origin of matter, dark matter, and dark energy.

And if you think you can illustrate the progression better than I (i.e. you know how to calculate the number/size of inner-circles it would take to coincide with present day observations of energy) - please let me know smile.png

Jason Shaw

Edited by nbj622

However, just 400 thousand light years after the Big Bang, the makeup of the Universe was approximately the following:

35% Matter: 12% Atoms + 23% mostly-massless particles

63% Dark Matter

0% Dark Energy

citation for this, please

Today, about 14 billion light years following the Big Bang, the energy composition of the Universe is approximately the following:

4.5% Matter: 4% Atoms + .5% mostly-massless particles

23.5% Dark Matter

72% Dark Energy

However, just 400 thousand light years after the Big Bang, the makeup of the Universe was approximately the following:

35% Matter: 12% Atoms + 23% mostly-massless particles

63% Dark Matter

0% Dark Energy

dark_matter_graphs.jpg

Notice that the proportion of Dark Energy has increased substantially over time and the proportions of dark matter and matter decreased. There also seems to be a generally constant proportion of about 6:1 for dark matter to atoms (matter with mass).

Also note that the amount of energy in the Universe has always remained a constant since the Big Bang.

I believe that the following conceptual illustration explains the origin and progression of dark matter, dark energy, and regular matter.

dark_matter.jpg

To understand how the makeup of the universe has evolved over time, one must start from the beginning and explain everything in terms of simplistic circles.

Prior to the Big Bang, there was a singularity, explained by a single circle. This illustrates the Universe in a perfect state of order.

As time goes on the universe has been 'expanding'.

To describe expansion, one might normally draw an circle of increasing perimeter. However, I propose that it must be conceptualized differently.

To describe expansion, I will draw circles within circles, because in this concept, if we drew the circle bigger, it would imply an increase in energy - and since the Universe is not increasing in energy, but simply getting larger - I will illustrate this by creating more circles within circles.

The circles within circles concept explains a notion of increasing 'depth/scale' - which can be equated with an expansion in space.

I'm also using a VERY SIMPLISTIC model. It is not drawn exactly, and is only meant to conceptualize 3 types of energy, however, an illustration showing their exact progression over time might be done using my approach, but it would require a much more precise measurement of areas, numbers of circles, configuration of circles, and so forth.

What's basically happening is that new circles are being created and grouped by time, during the expansion of the universe. Each white circle represents matter, such as baryons and leptons, therefore time appears to be pushing the white circles deeper-in during universal expansion. Therefore, as new circles are drawn, only the inner-most circles are considered to be matter. The outer circles still exist, but they are no longer considered matter - though their outline is still necessary to visualize expansion. Over time, the total area of the white circles, compared to the area of the encompassing circle, shrinks, signifying a drop in the total matter to dark energy ratio. (since dark energy and regular matter are tied to area)

Dark matter, on the other hand, is not represented by a single circle (or area), instead it is represented by the connection between circles. So over time, as more circles are added inside other circles, a 6:1 ratio of connections to circles still exists (as illustrated).

Finally as for Dark Energy - well its pretty simple - its a result of the space between circles. Expansion forces the creation of empty space and these illustrations falls in line with its common interpretation as a vacuum energy of space (i.e. cosmological constant).

It might also be said that the number of [mostly] massless particles (photons and neutrinos) are decreasing, as a function of the size of the circles and/or connections. Connections and/or circles decreasing in physical size = less photons and neutrinos.

Over time, the expansion of the universe creates lots of circles within circles - which are not homogenous like in this diagram. So 13-14 billion years later, the universe finds itself somewhere within this circles within circles illustration, and we end up with the matter/energy makeup that is currently observed.

And there you have it! A simple illustration for the origin of matter, dark matter, and dark energy.

And if you think you can illustrate the progression better than I (i.e. you know how to calculate the number/size of inner-circles it would take to coincide with present day observations of energy) - please let me know smile.png

Jason Shaw

It is true that this is a very good illustration. Sincerely. But is it only remains than e = mc² into a "dark system".

dark energy

dark matter

and why not the dark light ..

citation for this, please

Graph from Wikipedia

but maybe i made a mistake - 400,000 years (not light years) - I should edit that. Regardless, makes no difference to the overall conjecture of the essay.