Graduate program application statement

Sirtuin3

Hello all,

I hope this is appropriate as a new topic as I *briefly, yet thoroughly scanned this forum for a similar topic to no avail.

I am submitting an application for a MS Biochemistry program, and am wondering what the most appropriate elements are to include in such a statement. For those who are currently in a graduate program/ work in research, what do you think are essential elements in a statement?

For the program, there is an academic tract and a thesis tract.. in brainstorming on a blank MS word document, so far I have:

----------------------

Introduction/ basic educational background/ intent to pursue either academic OR thesis tract
Example of most involved lab experiences in undergrad
Personal motivation to contribute to science
Ability possessed to do it
Especially interested in knowing Metabolic map well, demonstrate understanding of it as the basis for medicine
2011 PSBMB conference attended, interesting paper observations
Fact that I always stay up to date
research interests
speculative paragraph about biochem/tech implications for future
my own future.. academic medicine
------------------------
Thanks for any/all input guys! cheers

Your ideas sound reasonable. My personal statement involved my reasons for choosing the field, my research experience, and other things I've done which relate to the field. Remember they'd prefer to hear about things you've done over you talking about how much you love the field. Seemed to work for me.

Yupp, it is worthwhile to highlight things that have solid evidence or are otherwise tangible (time working in a lab, research experience, methods etc.) over pure "personality" stuff. Everyone is writing how engaged they are going to be, how they are going to improve mankind etc. That rarely stands out and/or survives scrutiny.

If you are talking abilities, again focus on tangibles. E.g. just stating that you are self-motivated is far less impressive than actually providing evidence of it.