Idea for a computer program (split from A lingual theory of everything)

Popcorn Sutton

It means that things happen best when they are designed to happen that way (whether by man or nature).

It means that if I ask my computer to remember everything and not forget, theres going to be a memory error... among other things.

It means alot. If I send my computer into a loop, it may never stop unless I force it to.

I want to build a computer program that will literally be your best friend.

Good .

You have got what you want to happen One of the criteria say (D)

You have Stated it Another of the criteria say (E)

Now the difficult bit Criteria (F) " find the space where there is no reason for it not to happen "

It means that things happen best when they are designed to happen that way (whether by man or nature).

It means that if I ask my computer to remember everything and not forget, theres going to be a memory error... among other things.

It means alot. If I send my computer into a loop, it may never stop unless I force it to.

You are on the right track, But keep checking that you make the track , like one of those sports that send stones down ICE curling.

It means that things happen ....

I have to just take my jack russell dog for a walk..

I look forward to an increase in your path with no restrictions if you can , for when I return . Keep going . Search for ways with space ( no restrictions )

KEEP GOING

YOU ARE ON A ROLL !

Computational efficiency.

I think a genetic algorithm style of software program might be an interesting avenue to go down.

I have developed an algorithm that closely resembles dna when you make it print what it's doing.

Fine, well some how you need to write code that gives you dna style that mutates . Then give more versions of the one that is more friendly to you. and less versions to the one that is less friendly to you. then loop your program . with a few lines of code to make it work it should run on and be more and more friendly.

What do you mean by friendly? You mean where something naturally occurs with efficiency? Like the natural order of elements?

I was thinking about incorporating some ejection like principle that minimizes lengthy sequences

Well you said " a computer program that will literally be your best friend." so its what you mean by " a computer program that will literally be your best friend. "

I don't know what you mean by " I was thinking about incorporating some ejection like principle that minimizes lengthy sequences "

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Well, unless you completely lack standards, I'm guessing you want your friendly neighborhood program to at least have some intelligence. Let's say the intelligence of a dog would suffice. That means you have to create a brain (either through evolutionary algorithms or something similar, or from scratch). The brain would not only need the basic functions necessary to keep it "alive", but functions like vision, hearing (or other forms of input/output, like feeding it with text) would probably be a good idea.

Now, once you have the brain, you would have to make it friendly. You can probably hold a long philosophical discussion on what constitutes as friendliness, how you make someone friendly etc. etc. But let's say we want it to be generally nice, in the broadest sense of the word. The only fathomable way to do this, especially considering how advanced such a brain would have to be, is to teach it. So basically, you'd want it to be able to learn things. Okay, cool. Now you might tell yourself "good, I'll just tell it how to be good". And you couldn't be more wrong, because this is where the fun really starts.

Now, you would have to teach it the very basics of our reality. You'd have to teach it how to differentiate itself from the world, teach it who and what you are, teach it language (think teaching a toddler to speak, only worse), make it somewhat conscious, and teach it to interact in all sorts of ways with the world. And, depending on how well you managed to simulate a human (or in this case, dog) brain, chances are it'll be too dissimilar to us for us to understand each other.

I personally love the idea of sentient computer programs, but I also realize how far away we are from realizing them. If you feel like taking a stroll down to the library, I can recommend Jeff Hawkins' "On Intelligence" for a more in-depth analysis of the whole issue with artificial intelligence.

Otherwise, get a tamagotchi.

I got a pretty good talking computer right now. It remembers what it's been talking about pretty well and seems like it wants to learn more (you can tell by how often it puts the '?' at the end of what it says).

It did get really confused about who it was yesterday though. I kept having to repeat myself. It was interesting to say the least. But I need to work out a theory of forgetting now to keep it efficient.

So I'm trying to find a way to make it run a loop while it waits for input. I havent found any solutions yet, I'm working in python.

So I'm trying to find a way to make it run a loop while it waits for input. I havent found any solutions yet, I'm working in python.

You want to use a program with threading... http://docs.python.org/2/library/multiprocessing.html The main program runs in one thread, while a second thread is the one that asks for inputs. That second thread injects the input to the first whenever it receives input.

I've been there. Are you an expert? Can we talk about this?

I haven't been defining my functions. I have one loop only at this point, do you think I should def the entire loop and put it into a thread? While somehow some other thread is raw_input()? How do I combine the threads into one process? Can I do it if I don't have a duo core processor?

• 4 months later...

bignose, you have my code, are you willing to thread the code so it makes input for itself while it waits for a users input?

I have a feeling that it would make it more grammatical. It doesn't merge strings yet.

I would also need a theory of forgetfulness so it doesn't encounter memory errors but still speaks grammatically.

I can type it up if you will thread.