Idea, requiring questions.

Teo00

First of all, i am young and not with much knowledge.

I have a few questions for a project of mine, which i will start sooner... or later.

Is it possible to transmit energy/electricity from far away? (Tesla had something similar)

How else could we put something in space, other than rockets? (Elevator would need long cable... would be too heavy.What about Slingshot in a long pressurized tube? Using Magnets? )

The idea is to cheaply shoot something in space, by any one (close to sun for example) which could generate electricity by transmitting it back to earth. What other problems does this idea have?

Sorry for my ignorance in advance.

For energy transmission lasers are a possibility, as for the space tube idea; how heavy do you think the pressurised tube would be? A space elevator is far more likely I think.

Edit http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/solarpower/7060015/Lasers-to-beam-energy-to-Earth-from-space.html

Edited by dimreepr

I think that a pressurized tube is a good idea, actually. But only if you mean something like a very large cannon. Acceleration of the projectile (satellite, cargo) can be done with conventional explosives, but electricity (mag lev or railgun technology) is probably more practical at the really high velocity. Also, you definitely want to make the tube a vacuum in front of your projectile, and (slightly) pressurized behind it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is not already some research being done on this. I know the US navy want to build a rail gun for their boats. That would never launch anything into space, but with some scaling up, might just work.

As for transmitting electricity (or any energy) from near the sun back to earth, I agree that light is probably a practical solution. In fact, you might just want to use a lens and aim it carefully (or, alternatively, don't aim it so well, and occasionally say a loud "Muhahahaha" when you toast a large city). All I am saying is that you don't need to convert light into anything else. Just focus the light itself.