do orbiting stars distort black holes?

36grit

It seems to me that stars orbiting black holes would cause some gravitational distortions within the disk, and that these distortions might cause some of the black holes material to be ejecected out from the center of the phenominon much like the jets of quasar. If this is happening all the time the black holes would probably be shrinking at a regular or at least a prdedictable rate.

Does this happen? or has this been considered in any theories?

if so, does the material expand into stable particles?

perhaps strong force particles with no structure to capture electro magnetic energy?

Stars orbiting a supermassive black hole would affect the black hole as much as a fly buzzing around an elephant. In a binary system of black hole and star, the star would have negligible effect on the black hole, compared to the effects the black hole have on the star by eating it.

If you mean that stars near the accretion disk could distort that disk, then perhaps a large star would cause local disruption. However, the star would become part of the accretion disk, so I don't know if that would count.

The escape velocity of the black hole at the event horizon is greater than the speed of light, so nothing is going to escape.

The material in an accretion disk gets ionized and the electro-magnetic field of the spinning singularity at the center of the black hole causes some of the material to be ejected in two polarized jets as a quasar. This would not be caused by a nearby star.

So no, what you describe does not happen.

Edited by Arch2008

I guess what I'm really asking is; do black holes ever eject some of their own material into space? via orbiting super massive stars or some other mechanism? And if so, does this material expand as it leaves the extreme gravitational field of the disk?

I guess what I'm really asking is; do black holes ever eject some of their own material into space? via orbiting super massive stars or some other mechanism? And if so, does this material expand as it leaves the extreme gravitational field of the disk?

Once anything falls behind the event horizon it cannot escape.

I think you are asking if, something like a collision with another large compact object could destroy or reduce the size of the horizon? I don't think so, for sure we know, for example, that two colliding black holes will form another larger black hole.

You should be aware of the second law of black hole thermodynamics, which states that the area of the event horizon is an increasing function of time. The technicality here is that we require the weak energy conditions, so there is a loop hole, like in the case of Hawking radiation.

Let's say a black hole inhales a huge amount of dust and gas and then ejects gamma rays and x rays from it's center, do you think; or do we know whether or not some the "black holes material" is also ejected?

I wonder if a quasars electromagnetic jet is energy that was striped from the dust and gas cloud where it then travels over the surface of the disk until a collision of paricles at the center causes the energy to jet out, or

if the back hole swallowing the material grows to fast and the black hole material is ejected into space where it then expands into the electromagnetic particles of the gamma ray burst, or something else.

Let's say a black hole inhales a huge amount of dust and gas and then ejects gamma rays and x rays from it's center, do you think; or do we know whether or not some the "black holes material" is also ejected?

Material once inside the event horizon will still be producing x-rays, it is still subject to the forces it was before it fell into the black hole when it was part of the accretion disk. The thing is, these x-rays cannot escape the horizon. They remain trapped inside the black hole.