Badder than hubble.

alt_f13

I propose we make a new telescope in space that is 100m wide using mercury on a spinning plate as a reflector.

How should we build it? Water proof fabric on telescopic poles? Divide the plate into sections and send them up in a shuttle?

I propose we make a new telescope in space that is 100m wide using mercury on a spinning plate as a reflector.

How should we build it? Water proof fabric on telescopic poles? Divide the plate into sections and send them up in a shuttle?

How would spinning mercury make a mirror, in space?

However it is built, I think that it should be better[/b'] than Hubble! :P

Look... you will never be cool until you learn to speak in michael jackson.

How would spinning mercury make a mirror, in space?

Well, mercury is reflective, and here on earth you can use centrifugal force to create a parabolic mirror which is perfectly smooth and very very large... however I overlooked one important detail in my plan: there is no gravity in space to hold the mercury down, so sploosh! The mercury flies everywhere.

But I may have a solution. Is mercury not affected by magnetism?

I'm just trying to come up with a way of making the best optical telescope possible, and I think a massive one up in space would do the trick.