Hello, and i have an idea

The6thMessenger

Hello, i am Gabby, also known as The6thMessenger, although i am a writer facinated by sci-fi, i write my stories governed by a solid structure of acceptable physics, and minor bits of theoretical ideas branching from an established fact.

I've always been fascinated with anything that fires or explodes, much like a gun, but funny how i hate killing or destroying stuffs, i think i just love how the physics works.

This idea, i got it when the Mythbusters wanted to blow a gas-cylinder in a single shot.

post-84336-0-46551300-1357727761_thumb.png

Viral Flame – Armor Piercing Incendiary Injector

1.) Ballistic tip – balled tip for the projectile

2.) Penetrator – A super-hard metal with hooks

3.) Soft Metal – Softer metal that holds the penetrator

4.) Place-holder – allows the soft metal to bend open.

5.) Hardened/Crystallized incendiary mix or Flammable Zirconium Pellet – a solidified incendiary mix, made of zirconium

6.) Secondary incediary mix – easily ignited, ignites the primary incendiary mix, maybe even explosive.

7.) Blasting Cap – Ignites the flammable mix

8.) Heavily weighted end – even heavier than the rest of the body.

9.) Free-floating pin – strikes the blasting cap with the sudden stop of the entire bullet.

The entire shell is cut in three-sections, allowing the entire shell to open up.

Although 007 James Bond used a .22 LR as the myth dictates, this bullet is advisable for .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .460 S&W Magnum... or basically anything large and high-speed.

Basically it goes like this; After leaving the barrel, the shell will disengage, showing the Penetrator.

On hit, the penetrator will slightly penetrate the target, but the hook will snag but the back will still move forward due to inertia of the weight, forcing the three sections to open and make the hole bigger. As the projectile fully opens up, the incendiary mix will ignite because of the free-floating pin violently hitting the blasting cap, igniting the Incendiary Pellet and is thrown inside the target, it has to be a non-penetrating hard object so it stays in the gas cylinder.

Should the bullet fails to open, the free-floating pin will still hit the cap upon stop, and ignite the mixture, forcing the bullet to still open up and ignite the pellet.

Bottomline; it "Injects" a slow-burning pellet inside the body without exiting it, or an explosive round should the bullet failed to open. Think of it like a hollow-point bullet that expands upon impact, but instead it penetrates slightly and then expand, and then deliver the payload, i got the idea from a Jellyfish sting or Nematocytes.

Why i have posted this in here is to share the idea, so it might be proved or disproved one day.

Edited by The6thMessenger

Fun stuff. but what is the purpose? simply to create yet another way of killing someone? How big is this bullet? You know the body is mainly water, this device would have to boil away lots of water before it could burn whats left. You would have to have a hell (as in burning in hell! ) of a lot of incendiary material to do anything.

Fun stuff. but what is the purpose? simply to create yet another way of killing someone? How big is this bullet? You know the body is mainly water, this device would have to boil away lots of water before it could burn whats left. You would have to have a hell (as in burning in hell! ) of a lot of incendiary material to do anything.

I did it in response to the busted myth of blowing up a propane tank in one shot conducted by Mythbusters. Fortunately, that incendiary pellet should only be burning at least 8 to 10 seconds, it does not need to be hot, just long enough to ignite and explode the propane tank.

I was also thinking of adding a mild explosive tip so that when the ignition starts, the explosive on the tip would help the claws to be forced open.

"How Big is the bullet?"

Obviously you are not reading my post, i said it could be anything high-speed pistol such as .357 MAgnum, .44 magnum, .454 Casull, .460 or .500 S&W magnum.

Edited by The6thMessenger

The design seems incredibly complex to manufacture, and would need to outperform existing munitions to be viable in your story without suspension of disbelief.

How do you disengage the ballistic shell? Removing it will likely render your bullet horribly innaccurate.

With small, thin (easily deformed) hooks and a hard 'penetrating' material, how does it offer expansion and soft-tissue deceleration beyond existing hollow-points?

With a 'free floating' firing pin, how do you guarantee the safety of the user from accidental ignition during loading/handling/transport?

I have a few other questions, but I don't actually need any of them answered... I'm just tossing out hurdles which would prevent this kind of ammunition being a viable replacement for what already exists. Frankly, if you're trying to make things burn and pierce, I would have thought you'd be looking at existing depleted-uranium rounds, and then modifying their design to your needs. If you're trying to pierce and expand within the body, then you're in the market for a kind of bullet with cross-purposes. You can't have a soft shell and a hard center if you want to penetrate, and you can't have a hard shell and a soft center if you want to expand. You need a way to shed the hard shell of the bullet after penetration, but before exiting the body... and that's one hell of a challenge.

Might I just suggest trying to find something which fragments really well, pierces moderately, and is highly toxic or corrosive?

Or maybe look into frozen bullets... Not water though. Maybe mercury?

If this is a vein of thought which interests you, it might be worth considering a propulsion method which doesn't generate heat. Compressed air would be my best guess.

Speaking as an avid reader of all things sci-fi, my view is that it's simpler to accept something into the flow of the story if it's easily explained, rather than something which really needs a diagram to get across.

Edited by theholykrael

The design seems incredibly complex to manufacture, and would need to outperform existing munitions to be viable in your story without suspension of disbelief.

How do you disengage the ballistic shell? Removing it will likely render your bullet horribly innaccurate.

With small, thin (easily deformed) hooks and a hard 'penetrating' material, how does it offer expansion and soft-tissue deceleration beyond existing hollow-points?

With a 'free floating' firing pin, how do you guarantee the safety of the user from accidental ignition during loading/handling/transport?

I have a few other questions, but I don't actually need any of them answered... I'm just tossing out hurdles which would prevent this kind of ammunition being a viable replacement for what already exists. Frankly, if you're trying to make things burn and pierce, I would have thought you'd be looking at existing depleted-uranium rounds, and then modifying their design to your needs. If you're trying to pierce and expand within the body, then you're in the market for a kind of bullet with cross-purposes. You can't have a soft shell and a hard center if you want to penetrate, and you can't have a hard shell and a soft center if you want to expand. You need a way to shed the hard shell of the bullet after penetration, but before exiting the body... and that's one hell of a challenge.

Might I just suggest trying to find something which fragments really well, pierces moderately, and is highly toxic or corrosive?

Or maybe look into frozen bullets... Not water though. Maybe mercury?

If this is a vein of thought which interests you, it might be worth considering a propulsion method which doesn't generate heat. Compressed air would be my best guess.

Speaking as an avid reader of all things sci-fi, my view is that it's simpler to accept something into the flow of the story if it's easily explained, rather than something which really needs a diagram to get across.

The Problem with modern Armor Piercing Incendiary, is that they penetrate more than once, the whole point of this is to allow only to penetrate only once, and to "inject" burning material long enough for an inside ignition and eventual explosion of a propane tank.

For the hook, it's not supposed to be very thin, and it's should be made with the same material as the penetrator, and attached to it. The soft lower level is supposed to act as a hinge when the penetrator is hooked, and then the heavy third level would push inward, and it's supposed to open the entire shell. And with the free-floating pin igniting the payload, and then "Injected" inside the target.