Amateur Atom Smasher?

Hey,

I'm in a sciene club at my highschool (lame, I know tongue.png ), and now we're coming up with a new project to do. My teacher said "No project it too big", so I want to make a atom smasher, like Michio Kaku did when he was in highschool (mostly to take pictures of tracks of anti-matter)

Unfortunantly, I can't really find any good sources to do this on the interwebs to do this...

Any ideas/ tips/ resources?

Hey,

I'm in a sciene club at my highschool (lame, I know tongue.png ),

Um, hellooooo, science forum! Nothing lame about it!

and now we're coming up with a new project to do. My teacher said "No project it too big", so I want to make a atom smasher, like Michio Kaku did when he was in highschool (mostly to take pictures of tracks of anti-matter)

Unfortunantly, I can't really find any good sources to do this on the interwebs to do this...

Any ideas/ tips/ resources?

We had a thread like that a while back, but I'm not sure it will help: [url=http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/64623-particle-accelerator-help-required/

You could make a cloud chamber, but I am not sure what the health and safety rules are in high school. The chamber is often filled with isopropanol vapour and that can be dangerous. Talk to your chemistry technician.

Instructions can be found here.

ajb took the words straight out of my mouth - and a great link. The amazement at seeing muon decay and being able to tell it apart from a cosmic ray particle is pretty astonishing. I tried to get a magnet to bend the paths - but could never get it to work.

as a project you could go for the extra grades and do a bit on why the muons have made it ground level at all!