Respondents needed for survey on work stress (admin approved)

EmilyC

Hi!

I’m a researcher at University College London (UCL) and I’m currently running a study looking at work stress and how people recover from work, with the hope to find out what factors and activities (for example, social support) may help with this. I’m really keen to get respondents from a variety of professions, levels of job stress and working hours, so it’d be great if anyone from this forum would be interested in taking part.

It only takes 15 minutes and you’ll receive instant feedback on things like whether you have high work strain, whether you’re successfully recovering from work and whether you’re work life is influencing your home life. Plus, you’ll be entered into a prize draw for one of six £50 Amazon vouchers and you’ll be doing your bit to help develop methods of improving post-work recovery!

The only requirement is that you work at least 3 days/shifts per week and are over 18. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or comments (my e-mail address is on the first page of the survey).

Here’s the link:

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1KPXkndd9tZuUBL

Thanks in advance for your help!

Emily

Emily

Survey done. Some of your summary information after the survey didnt seem to work for me

You scored out of 48 on the 'demands' scale (the national average is 30.26) and out of 96 on decision making (the national average is 70.20).

Several of the supposed response numbers were missing, which was disappointing. The survey takes longer than suggested. This was my good news:

To recover from work successfully, you need to meet four criteria, which are psychological detachment, relaxation, a sense of mastery and a sense of control. You scored 15 out of 25 for psychological detachment, 15 out of 15 for relaxation, 20 out of 20 for mastery and 20 out of 20 for control.

So it's official: I am a control freak.

I find it tragic to remember as happy moments the stress I had when I had work to do.

No i have a job but no work & no income and much much much more stress.

Stress at work has been studied over & over. You should study stress caused by the absence of work: that's the future!

Several of the supposed response numbers were missing, which was disappointing. The survey takes longer than suggested. This was my good news:

To recover from work successfully, you need to meet four criteria, which are psychological detachment, relaxation, a sense of mastery and a sense of control. You scored 15 out of 25 for psychological detachment, 15 out of 15 for relaxation, 20 out of 20 for mastery and 20 out of 20 for control.

So it's official: I am a control freak.

But a relaxed control freak.

I am working in school, so I'm not sure if it counts (graduate assistant... it's not really work-work like I'm used to with an office and coworker.. more like continuous paid homework :P )

Also, just to clarify, is this meant for anyone around the world, or is it separating people per country/society? I wonder if people from different countries have different factors to consider.

Thanks to everyone who has completed the survey and sorry for the feedback not working - it seems to decide randomly who to not give feedback to, as I can't figure out what's going wrong! I'll have another look and see if I can work it out though. Thanks for flagging it up!

The absence of work is definitely a cause of stress, I totally agree. This research, however, is hoping to try to develop tools to help people in stressful jobs recover, so hopefully this is still contributing something useful. I guess that'll all depend on the results though!

I'm recruiting mostly within the UK but I'm currently not restricting it to any particular country, so anyone can take part. Where people are from will definitely be something I take into consideration when I'm looking at the results, that's a really good point.

Thanks again for taking part, and for all the comments and suggestions :)

Emily, that sounds like a pretty cool research. I know these things take time and all that, but I'd love to see your analysis/results when you have something, if you're willing to share them with us (or link to the published paper). It sounds fascinating.