Animal-Derived Laboratory Reagents

southtowns18

I have a question about animal-derived laboratory reagents and products. I’m working in a strictly in-vitro lab that focuses mainly on western blots and flow cytometry. I was wondering the cost to animal life associated with these reagents. These include:

FBS (fetal bovine serum) & BSA (bovine serum albumen): I figured these products are likely a byproduct of the slaughterhouse industry and therefore the animals are being slaughtered more for the meat than to get the blood to make these products. Am I right in thinking this?

Primary & secondary antibodies (raised in mouse, rabbit, goat, etc.): From what I understand there are three main types with differing degrees of cost to animal life

• In vitro Monoclonal antibodies: Once the hybridoma is created they can be grown indefinitely in vitro so there is minimal cost to animal life. Am I right in thinking this?
  • In vivo (ascites) monoclonal antibodies: Does an animal have to die every time I place a new order for an antibody?
  • Polyclonal antibodies: Again, does an animal have to die every time I place a new order for an antibody?

Sheep’s blood agar: Unlike the bovine products, I wouldn’t think sheep are being killed for the meat so maybe they are being primarily slaughtered to generate these lab products. Am I right for thinking this?

I’m asking these questions because I enjoy working in the lab but just want to know the cost associated with the products I use in regards to animal life. Also, can you think of any other animal-derived reagants/products that I left out that could be used in in-vitro experiments?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

FBS is a sideproduct of animal slaughter. For the blood products (including BSA) slaughter is unnecessary. Though for sometimes blood from slaughterhouses may be used (I am not sure why you would think that sheep are not used for meat, too). Collection of antibodies from animals requires exsanguination, and therefore results in animal death. The only exception are of course the mentioned in vitro generation.