Salicylic acid oxidation

Guest xcube

Can K2Cr2O7 oxidize salicylic acid? I'm studying chemistry lab and I've done the experiment and the result show that it can't but I'm not sure. The others phenolic compound that I have tested show positive result, for example , alpha-naphthol. Why can't salicylic be oxidized? Please explain. Thanks for your reply.

I didn't says that it can't be oxidized at all but I wonder what if I mix dichromate and salicylic acid. Can dichromate oxidize salicylic acid? (I think dichromate is not as strong oxidizer as permanganic anhydride so can it oxidize?) thank you for reply

Lol. I must say that I'd be surprised if it didn't oxidize right away with Mn2O7. That's some wacky stuff. :)

"I wonder what if I mix dichromate and salicylic acid. Can dichromate oxidize salicylic acid?"

I can't see why, as it is quite a powerful oxidizer. But on the other hand, if you could oxidize 1-naphthol yet you had a negative result with salicylic acid... Hmm, odd. :I

yes, yes it is wacky. dark green viscous volatile liquid that slowly decomposes to form ozone. yup, thats some wacky stuff. explodes really easy. oxidation potential is really high.

i would think that 2-hydroxybenzoic acid could be attacked in the 3,4,5, and 6 regions, more likely the 4 and 5 positions

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Late_Cretace

Hello

Can anybody tell me what the products would be of salicylic acid being oxidized by either hydrogen peroxide or oxone?

Thank you for your help

Ozone + salicylic acid ---> ??? :rolleyes:

Hydrogen peroxide + salicylic acid ---> ??? :rolleyes: