Hurrah for English

Sayonara

dare I risk making another account for my Wife? shes just read this laughing and says: "that`s what sad gits without a life spend all their time doing, No Life Sayonara"

You can imagine how slow things must have been at work today to drive me to such lengths.

the news readers when they say goodnight from such and such and from Me.

What annoys me (and even the BBC peeps have started doing this) is the use of "is", or its contractions, when talking about something in the plural.

Use "are" damn you! And they say the BBC has not been dumbed down.

What annoys me (and even the BBC peeps have started doing this) is the use of "is"' date=' or its contractions, when talking about something in the plural.

Use "are" damn you! And they say the BBC has not been dumbed down.[/quote']

We gots to admit, We has not noticed what is doing in that respect, they is bang outa orders!

seriously, Ali G wasn`t too far off with his parodies of such usage, the above is exagerated beyond his parody admitedly (the Me / I juxtapostion for instance) but I recon he wasn`t too far off the mark with some of it!.

I don`t know if you ever listen to the "Now Show" on BBC radio 4 (I do regularly as it`s my fave radio chan), but eitherway I`m sure you`re familiar with the word "Chav"

they look upon an Orange or tangerine and consider it a Sunny D plant :)

probably the most annoying things are the words that come out of GW bushes mouth. for example

"Suiciders" instead of Suicide bombers

and "Evil Doers" i mean WTF is that?

and he constantly goes on about "Bringing Suiciders to justice" thats just plaing doesnt make sense, when the bombers are already dead.

"NI3 doesn`t move about and creep up behind you whilst posting though!.

it has an inate tendancy to Stay Put :)"

So hereby we come to the conclusion that pregnant women are a bigger health hazard than any high explosive no matter how sensitive. :eek:

Just a note that isn't really all that important (and possibly wrong... but I don't THINK it is):

Me is acceptable in a few (VERY few) cases (rather than someone and I). If you would say, had the other person not been included in the sentence, that "me" did something, you can still use the phrase "Joe and me." For example, if you need to ask someone for a ride, you'd say "Can you take me to the mall?" If you and Joe were going to the mall, you would say "Can you take Joe and me to the mall?" Actually, I may need to read up on it more, but I think that in the above case it's acceptable to say "Can you take me and Joe to the mall?"

Just another confuzzling part of the English language- and, more confuzzling, is that confuzzle isn't a word.

I think the rule is that you use "me" or "I" in the same way as you would use it if the other person wasn't there (I'm getting this from my father, who's an English teacher and has virtually more grammar books in his office than there are words in the English language.) For example:

I like contraceptives.

My clone and I like contraceptives.

"My clone and me like contraceptives" would be incorrect, since you don't go around saying "Me like contraceptives" unless you want people to skip the pills and just have you sterilised. Similarly:

...and some beer for me.

...and some beer for Bob and me.

"...and some beer for Bob and I" sounds reasonable, but if the rule applies then I think you can agree that "...and some beer for I" is incorrect, unless you want a bottle forced up your nose.

What annoys me (and even the BBC peeps have started doing this) is the use of "is"' date=' or its contractions, when talking about something in the plural.

Use "are" damn you! And they say the BBC has not been dumbed down.[/quote']There is a difference between dumbing down and being dumb. I fear, for the BBC, it may be the latter.

Just a note that isn't really all that important (and possibly wrong... but I don't THINK it is):

Me is acceptable in a few (VERY few) cases (rather than someone and I). If you would say' date=' had the other person not been included in the sentence, that "me" did something, you can still use the phrase "Joe and me." For example, if you need to ask someone for a ride, you'd say "Can you take me to the mall?" If you and Joe were going to the mall, you would say "Can you take Joe and me to the mall?" Actually, I may need to read up on it more, but I think that in the above case it's acceptable to say "Can you take me and Joe to the mall?"

Just another confuzzling part of the English language- and, more confuzzling, is that confuzzle isn't a word.[/quote']

It's actually not very few cases; it's often. "I" is the nominative form and "me" is the dative form. "I" is used to refer to yourself when you are the subject of the sentence (the one performing the verb). So when you say "Joe and I went to the mall," that is correct because "I" is the subject and the verb is "went," which the subject is performing.

When you say "You took Joe and me to the mall," that is correct, because here "me" is not the subject but the object of the verb "took." The object is what is on the receiving end of the verb or what the verb is being performed on, rather than the one performing the verb.