Autoclave for microbiology laboratory

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for some kind advice regarding sterilisation equipment.

I would like to purchase a small autoclave to handle multiple tasks in a microbiology laboratory. I need a programmable device with which one can prepare culture media and sterilise small equipment and waste.

I did a search on the web and I found something that would correspond to my budget: this autoclave (the programmable one).

Could you please give me opinions about this steriliser? Your help will be precious.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

As long as you are not looking to sterilize anything porous or wrapped instruments, a basic autoclave should suffice. You might want to have something called 'Load sensed timing' which allows you to ensure that any media or fluids have been correctly sterilized - without load sensed timing you cannot be 100% sure than media/fluids have been correctly sterilized, only that the chamber has reached the right temperate for the desired amount of time, not the load.

Quite common machines in the laboratory sector are Astell's benchtops, here's the link: Astell Benchtop Autoclave

There are also top loading autoclaves and different sizes, but choosing a sterilizer can often come down to what you are looking to sterilize and how easy it will be to load etc. Hope this helps.

From what the website says it is pretty standard, except that it has no internal sensor to adjust for larger volumes (what chearson referred to). For volumes up to 1l it may not make much of a difference as this is the liquid used within the system, anyway. In some cases a little bit of optimizing the time could be necessary, but then it looks too small for any large volumes, anyway.

Thank you very much chearson and CharonY for your replies.

Nothing porous or wrapped will need to be autoclaved.

I forgot to mention that I will sometimes need to transport the autoclave. Plus I don't need 33l volume.

Thank you for your suggestions anyway!