Could cloud seeding dissipate the power of a hurricane?

Bill Angel

One wonders if it would be possible to use cloud seeding techniques out at sea to dissipate or at least reduce the destructive power of a hurricane. One source of information on cloud seeding is this article:

http://www.lightwatcher.com/chemtrails/cloud_seeding.html

If the clouds were seeded early enough over the ocean, would the hurricane even form?

I understand that if a private company did it, they would be liable for damages. But if the US Government does it, it's a different situation, as the US Government is going to,be involved in cleaning up the damage and helping the victims recover, wherever the Hurricane strikes.

Does making it rain bring the low pressure in the center of the storm closer to normal? Because that is a major source of energy of the storms. That is, if you just limit the raining, I am not sure that necessarily helps the wind and storm surge. Not to mention the weather conditions are usually favorable to just re-evaporate more moisture into the air and rain again (e.g. the normally fairly warm ocean water).

In short, while it may help, I think a lot more study is needed before an answer could be given either way.

I understand that if a private company did it, they would be liable for damages. But if the US Government does it, it's a different situation, as the US Government is going to,be involved in cleaning up the damage and helping the victims recover, wherever the Hurricane strikes.

Apart from the Caribbean States (if they try and alter events in early atlantic stages) and Canada (if the change is later) - or the big storms have been known to still have power by the time they hit Ireland and the UK.

We have enough trouble just predicting the weather. I shudder to think what might happen if we start actively tampering with it.

I'm still optimistic on this issue. I was involved in writing programs for supercomputers 25 years ago, and I still remain optimistic that super computers will become powerful enough, and meteorological models sophisticated enough to make control of the weather a reality. I hate to think that the best man can do, as far as the weather is concerned, is depicted in this image

The government will do some of the restoration work wherever it strikes. So will the insurance companies.

But if the government steers a hurricane so that it kills my brother then I will prosecute them for murder and sue for punitive damages.

The best way to stop people being killed by storms is to move the people out of the way.

The second best way is to read the story of the 3 little pigs.

" The best way to stop people being killed by storms is to move the people out of the way."

You are quite right. But in terms of protecting property, the same issue of tradeoffs has come up in the area of flood control. See: http://m.npr.org/story/136056393?url=/2011/05/09/136056393/army-corps-makes-tough-calls-with-floods