Condensing infinite sums?

Amaton

Just wondering, but suppose [math]f(x)=\dfrac{a(x)}{b(x)}[/math].

If both [math]a(x)[/math] and [math]b(x)[/math] are each represented by their own infinite series, can I condense the function for both series into one sum and call it [math]f(x)[/math]?

For example, [math]\tan\:x=\dfrac{\sin\:x}{\cos\:x}[/math]. Using this, I could show that [math]\tan\:x[/math] is equal to the quotient of the series representations for sine and cosine.

Say I have the power series for the sine divided by the power series for the cosine (an infinite sum over an infinite sum). Now can I condense this into a single sum and have the series functions in a (properly) combined quotient?

Edited by Amaton

Sorry for the confusion. It wasn't in the exact article you gave me. It was instead under the trigonometric functions Wiki, and for some reason I missed the denotation the first time reading it. [math]U_n[/math] denotes the "[math]n^{th}[/math] up/down number" as stated in the entry.

Anyway, here's a better formulation of my question.

Is it a valid to say that [math]f(x)=\dfrac{\displaystyle\sum_{k=a}^b g(x,k)}{\displaystyle\sum_{k=a}^b h(x,k)}[/math] is equal to [math]f(x)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=a}^b \frac{g(x,k)}{h(x,k)}[/math] in general?

Is it a valid to say that [math]f(x)=\dfrac{\displaystyle\sum_{k=a}^b g(x,k)}{\displaystyle\sum_{k=a}^b h(x,k)}[/math] is equal to [math]f(x)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=a}^b \frac{g(x,k)}{h(x,k)}[/math] in general?

No

[math] \frac{\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^2 x^k}{\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^2 x^{2k}} = \frac{x+x^2}{x^2 + x^4} \ne \frac{x}{x^2} + \frac{x^2}{x^4} = \displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^2 \frac{x^k}{x^{2k}} [/math]

It is certainly not true in general, and as I wrote above, it really is only going to be special cases where you are going to be able to turn it into a single sum.

• 2 weeks later...