Hack Attempts

Iota

Recently on Google Chrome a .cab file attempted to download itself, which I researched and it was, as assumed, malicious. I did not open it because luckily I know better. It was a real nasty one from what I read too (although I can't remember its name now, it was 3 weeks back).

Just today I searched Facebook into Google, clicked the top link, as per usual with the normal URL i.e. 'www.facebook.com' appeared. When I clicked the link Facebook appeared to show up as normal, but Google Chrome opened up its red security warning page and said it was not Facebook, it was actually *name of hidden site URL* trying to collect my username + password. You'll have to bare with me I can't remember either of the names for the two malicious attack items, but that's all right because it's not crucial to my question.

How is it files are attempting to download to Chrome without my say? Also, how is it possible that I click an official website link, but instead end up at an alternate, hidden URL, only masked as Facebook?

Edited by Iota