Do Western countries have a debt to pay to the developing world?

Mr Rayon

As I understand it, one of the results of Western colonial power was the exploitation of many developing countries from spices and minerals to human slaves.

Do you believe Western countries owe something to those they ruled?

If so, when will Western countries pay this debt back that they have stolen from the less well-off?

Or is it the colonized countries which owe something?

What is your opinion?

As I understand it, one of the results of Western colonial power was the exploitation of many developing countries from spices and minerals to human slaves.

Do you believe Western countries owe something to those they ruled?

If so, when will Western countries pay this debt back that they have stolen from the less well-off?

The nice simplistic answer is "Yes".

The popular practical answer is "Yes, but we don't care", and/or "We already pay for development money and charity".

But my answer is that we should first grant them proper independence. We can ship some money and goodies to the poor countries, but we still suck those economies dry now, so what would that change? They might have their own government, and their own flag, but in every economical sense they are still colonies. The people there do not receive a fair price for the goods they produce. Trade barriers prevent their economy from competing with ours in fields where they excel, while we dump goods on their market to kill off any new developments there.

The solution is a lot more complicated than giving some money to poor countries...

The nice simplistic answer is "Yes".

Following this logic the (near penniless) nomads of kazakstahn etc owe the chinese a huge debt since they conquered, overthrew and exploited the various dynasties there, as they did spreading west into europe.

But then the norsemen clearly owe such a debt to the english, for much the same reasons

Perhaps the descendents of the Incas should compensate those of the Mayan civilization?

How about Homo Sapiens compensating Homo Neanderthalis?

Where do you draw the line?

Edited by studiot

The UK gives £280mil to India every year, to 'improve' post-colonial relations aka. after exploiting them for many years. Even though the Indian finance minister said he doesn't want our help and what we're giving to them is "peanuts".

In terms of history, we have a lot of debt to pay (in general), especially Europe to Africa, I'd say. That's the thing though, if you went back far enough, most countries have screwed each other over at one point or another.

I'd say the debt should probably still be recognised if said country is still suffering at large, as a result of what another country did to it in the past. I wouldn't say the British Empire really owes India because they didn't really make things worse for them today... from what I know.

If Europe weren't a multi-cultural country, would resentment for their colonizing past in developing countries be greater?

I mean it would make them appear more elite/upper class races. Perhaps a bit arrogant, would it?

How has the acceptance of people from the colonized countries by Europe remedied the situation?

Also, if Europe hadn't gone out to other countries to colonize them and steal their resources, how do you think our world picture of our planet would be like today?

Would the gap between rich and poor be narrower?

Overall, by colonizing other countries, was Europe able to accumulate enough wealth to find ways how that could benefit other countries too?

In your opinion, what are some positive consequences of colonial rule?