Cell phone addicts lousy drivers even when not calling

... frighteningly similar to ...

Multitaskers poor producers even when not multitasking

I think the evidence is beginning to build that humans are not computers — that is, we cannot run multiple "applications" efficiently. I wish there was a conclusive study that proved this to American business so we never again hear an interviewer ask, "And how are you at multitasking?" Maybe this question should be illegal, like asking someone to sit for a lie detector test. <_<

... frighteningly similar to ...

Multitaskers poor producers even when not multitasking

I think the evidence is beginning to build that humans are not computers — that is, we cannot run multiple "applications" efficiently. I wish there was a conclusive study that proved this to American business so we never again hear an interviewer ask, "And how are you at multitasking?" Maybe this question should be illegal, like asking someone to sit for a lie detector test. <_<

I think women may have a slight evolutionary edge here, as the gathering role allowed them to have a wider, more "big picture" focus than men did. However, there's a difference between looking out for multiple food/tool sources and modern multi-tasking.

I also don't think most people understand what multi-tasking is. They treat it as, "I've got several tasks on my plate, and I'm going to try to work on them all simultaneously". In reality, they end up working on one task until deadline pressures on another task force them to shift gears to work on something else, until the next set of pressures force them to shift gears again. That's not multi-tasking, imo, or at least not efficient multi-tasking.

As for the cell phone use, some people don't understand why focusing on seemingly mundane tasks is important. They consider it intellectually superior to let the mind wander to other topics when the task at hand is routine and well-understood. Unfortunately, driving is anything but routine. But even washing dishes or making copies at work is important enough to focus on, and doing each task well is much more efficient in the long term than making those silly mistakes on something boring and having to redo the work.

I think women may have a slight evolutionary edge here, as the gathering role allowed them to have a wider, more "big picture" focus than men did. However, there's a difference between looking out for multiple food/tool sources and modern multi-tasking.

I also don't think most people understand what multi-tasking is. They treat it as, "I've got several tasks on my plate, and I'm going to try to work on them all simultaneously". In reality, they end up working on one task until deadline pressures on another task force them to shift gears to work on something else, until the next set of pressures force them to shift gears again. That's not multi-tasking, imo, or at least not efficient multi-tasking.

As for the cell phone use, some people don't understand why focusing on seemingly mundane tasks is important. They consider it intellectually superior to let the mind wander to other topics when the task at hand is routine and well-understood. Unfortunately, driving is anything but routine. But even washing dishes or making copies at work is important enough to focus on, and doing each task well is much more efficient in the long term than making those silly mistakes on something boring and having to redo the work.

I don't know about that I know plenty of people who are great multitasksers

I don't know about that I know plenty of people who are great multitasksers

I didn't say they don't exist, just that multitasking is often misunderstood. There are plenty of good ways to set up parts of multiple tasks that are similar enough where you don't have to mentally switch gears, and thus be more focused and "in the zone" as CaptainPanic put it. I just don't think a lot of folks multitask the right way, yet they still insist they're "great multitaskers".