55 gallon steel drums

chilled_fluorine

Check with local farmer's co-ops, local companies that buy bulk liquids, or your county extension agency. People who live outside of normal municipal trash pick-up may be able to point you in the right direction, as the steel drums are frequently used for burn barrels.

Check with local farmer's co-ops, local companies that buy bulk liquids, or your county extension agency. People who live outside of normal municipal trash pick-up may be able to point you in the right direction, as the steel drums are frequently used for burn barrels.

Okay.

Okay.

Well, that got me nowhere. Any other ideas?

Ebay or a local feed store, perhaps.

This must sound so ignorant, but is a feed store a place that has feed for animals, such as grain? Farming isn't so big here. Mining is, however. At the center they had a big drum supposedly full of mercury, I wonder how they would move that thing. They don't have any other drums, althought they offered to sell me 100 ccs of the mercury for 5 dollars. Sounds like a pretty good deal, but I don't need to refine any gold, and if I did there would be safer ways.

Mining companies have to use some kind of oil or grease for equipment. That might come in 55 gallon drums.

No, I asked around. They get their lube in 5 gallon cans. They do have other 55 gallon drums, but all are plastic. Stainless steel IS one of those metals that doesn't go off and amalgam with mercury, right? If it was, well that makes me chuckle and cringe at the same time.

If you're in the states, you can use this website to locate dealers in your state.

http://www.macraesbl...&region=Iowa-IA

None of the companies on that list are within a five hours drive of where I live. What terrible luck, as I don't want to drive 6.5 hours.

Try oil change companies, mechanics, or machine shops. Safety Kleen comes in steel drums, and the quick oil change shops around me get their oil and antifreeze in steel drums.

Mmm... Safety clean? Never heard of it. I'll look around. My schedule looks pretty tight, so it could be a while before I get to do some more serious scavenging.