RV medium for detection of Salmonella

Dear all,

Can you help me on this matter? 0.1 ml of inoculam is added to the 10ml of Rappoport Vassiliadis medium but 1ml of inoculam is added to the selenite systyne broth. What is the reason to add less amount in to RV medium? This is regular test I am doing in lab but I need clear idea on what I follow.

Edited by Tharindu

Well, I have used neither medium. However the first question would be: what precisely are you testing? I remember that both were selective for Salmonella, but what do you do? Enrichment? Selective testing? What is the source material?

There could be any number of reasons (good and bad) for a particular protocol, but it really depends on the reason for what it is used. For instance, the selectivity of selenite medium could be compromised if too much matrix (e.g. fecal matter) is present. Hence either higher purification (with the chances of loss) or lower starting material may be used.

But again, one need to state the type and purpose of the test in order to be able to discuss protocols.