Turning off the Monitor

psi20

Off shouldn`t be a problem, it should die instantly.

the ON is a bit different for CRT types. if you can keep the Cathode heaters up to temp, ON should be more or less instant too, as it`s the cathode heaters that take the time.

hope that helps :)

Is there some way you can control how fast the monitor turns on or off when you push the button?

ON: the monitor needs to warm up. each monitor varying on power, size, make and just individual components and everything! will effect the speed of it turning on. for example, yesterday, i saw an arcade machine turned on, at first it was sooo blurry the people who owned it thought it was broken... after 5 mins it was crystal clear.... its just a case of letting things warm up.

as you know computer monitors are faster than that... if its instant your lucky, if it takes a while, just wait for it... without that wait the monitor wouldnt work.

the only way of speeding it up is to buy a new more modern monitor

OFF: should be almost instant as all power should be immediately cut off.

but that time should be minimal... my new modern computer monitor takes (just testing) less than a second from full on to full black.

whereas my 13 years old TV takes quite a while and i get little colourful circle thingies which appear when it is turning on, that TV must take 10 or more secs from full on to full off.

off generally doesn't go off immediately, the phosphors take some time to stop emitting.

there`s nothing you can do about that, that`s purely a physio-chemical reaction, the Cathodes take a little while to cool, but will not be responsible for the phosphor after glow (it`s similar to Burn).

the HT gas charger is almost instantly dead as will the focus coils be, the line plates take a little while to discharge tho.

well you could use a dimmer switch to slowly reduce power from the monitor which would have a similar effect.

I would avoid doing that. Dimmer switches cut up the AC wave length and may damage your monitor. Of course I can’t think of how it would but I just wouldn’t risk it.

welll as with a lot of possibly cool computer stuff, if you find an old monitor try it.

NB: monitors (incl. TV) can contain very high voltage capacitors which have the ability to kill or severely injure. unless you know what you are doing, dont play with any screen.

even if you are experienced and are confident to do this, remember to disconnect all power and be careful.

i was merely suggesting using a dimmer swithc as a method of doing a task, i never said it was safe or advised!

and as Lance said, only do it if it is a montior which can be thrown anyway (nice to be safe).

using a dimmer switch on a monitor is MEGA stupid!

the lower the switched voltage the higher the current drain, till the TRIAC blows!

ignoring the fact that there`s also voltage tollerances on board a TV you`ll end up stressing certain parts out that will TRY and compensate, do NOT! do this!