I am supposed to make notes explaining the exact mechanisms for these tests:

Molisch's test,

Anthrone test,

Benedict's test,

Barfoed's test,

Bial's orcinol test,

Seliwanoff's test,

Osazone test

All I could find are sh***y notes from my seniors who can't even spell 'Molisch'. All their structure diagrams are, to put is mildly, retarded (some carbons have 5 bonds etc.).

Please help me find the exact structures of the reagents involved, the exact mechanism of the reaction, what's the test for etc.

!

Moderator Note

Moved to homework.

Inockohldo, we don't give answers here but we are willing to help you out if you're struggling to figure out concepts, etc. I have to ask if you actually bothered Googling any of those tests? Honestly, you could get your answers in 5 minutes if you had.

!

Moderator Note

Moved to homework.

Inockohldo, we don't give answers here but we are willing to help you out if you're struggling to figure out concepts, etc. I have to ask if you actually bothered Googling any of those tests? Honestly, you could get your answers in 5 minutes if you had.

Yes. But I can't understand the mechanisms from just pictures and equations.

What do you think? What level organic chemistry have you studied up to?

I think I can visualize what is happening in the second row... (somewhat)

The reaction form D-Glucose to 5-(hydroxymethyl)furfurol beats me.

Well, I studied very basic organic chemistry.. only common functional groups, their nomenclature, isomerism etc. And that was a few years ago.. I had switched to physical sciences for 3 years and now I switched back to life sciences (this is from my biochemistry course).:(