smoke bombs

boris_73

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it appears that some of the commercial smoke bombs are made of approx. 20% potassium chlorate, 20% lactose and 60% unsoluble strong dye, for example paranitraniline, surrounded by a clay shell. I'm not quite sure if adding paranitraniline to KNO3-sugar mixture will impart a color on the smoke though.

Damn thats not the worse part, because it can be kept safely i decided to make another batch and find an excuse to set it off probably down at my grandpa's end, he was the one who got me into things like this and helps me get my chemicals, anyway if it is true what you say total volume of 54000 will be coverd with smoke it best not go off in my bloody house

Edit: today i am not at my brightest, days like these you know i am tired without me even telling you

Edit 2: united nuclear has irritated me a bit because they said it was a small batch.... Small indeed ill set these two off in there office and we'll see what a small batch it is anyway if i am ever in danger i can light these and disapear :D

"if i am ever in danger i can light these and disapear"

That's ninjalicious. :)

"What is the smoke actually made of?"

You mean the smoke coming from a KNO3/sugar smoke bomb? Small carbon particles at least, carbon monoxide probably too, along with carbon dioxide. I'd imagine some water vapor being released too as the sugar decomposes.

You mean the smoke coming from a KNO3/sugar smoke bomb? Small carbon particles at least' date=' carbon monoxide probably too, along with carbon dioxide. I'd imagine some water vapor being released too as the sugar decomposes.[/quote']

OK, so it's basically the same as burning wood? (sans the ash i guess).

If you were to make this type of smoke bomb from the saltpetre sold at a garden supply store would any impurities affect the reaction much?

"If you were to make this type of smoke bomb from the saltpetre sold at a garden supply store would any impurities affect the reaction much?"

I'm not sure if you guys use the same code for fertilizer, but here it's nitrogen-phosphor-potassium (for example 34-0-0 for NH4NO3). I'm quite sure that they're used worldwide though. Of course, the bag will probably say "saltpeter" but I recall that many different assortment saltpeters are used in fertilizing. It probably just says "potassium saltpeter", if it's a bag of KNO3. Also, I'd imagine the code for pure KNO3 is 14-0-44.

that's brilliant news this way i can keep it for as long as i want and be able to go to sleep with out fear im going to wake up with a house full of smoke and my parents looking over as if they had an intenton to kill me

LOL. Well, don't worry. If the smoke bomb goes off there'll be too much smoke for your parents to see you anyway. tee-hee. :D

I tried making that stuff once at a friends house. We melted the saltpeter together with the sugar for a while, then lit it. It burned blue, and fast. It produced almost no smoke, so we either mixed it incorrectly or heated it for too long/ not long enough.

i bet it burned lilac instead of blue:\

what were your proportions? how large was the flame in comparison with the reagents?

btw jdurg' date=' can you get nitrates where you live? i can't[/quote']

Yeah. Just go to unitednuclear.com, or look for the Chemsavers store on E-Bay and you can easily get some nitrates. As for at the gardening store, I don't know. I know that getting battery acid is next to impossible where I am, and if you even ask for it they claim that they don't sell it and only use batteries that never need to be "refilled". :-(

yeah, i have the same problem. we cant get any oxidizers where i live; nitrates, nitrites, chlorates, perchlorates, chlorites, permanganates, etc. they're even taking away simple common things like hydrochloric acid, which i rarely see anymore. theres almost no red phosphorus in match books...and i still can't find sulfuric acid either

Today i set of my smoke bombs in my back garden and to be honest in the open 45g is not that bad it produces a LOT of smoke in a couple of seconds and stays around for a few more but after a while it goes all though my neighbour did come out to see where all the smoke was coming from but she was'nt really that botherd and i asked her not to tell my parents which she wont do because we get along very well as neighbours:)))) and so i am deciding to make some more maybe this time about 1-2 pounds worth that will be a great smoke screen i have also concluded that

1. if you put the mixture in a cardboard tube with one end sealed the smoke last's twice as long all though it does'nt come off as fast and not as thick

2. if you put the mixture in a cardboard tube with no ends sealed it produces a nice thick screen of smoke and last for quite a while

3. if you dont put the mixture in any container and light it it burns very fast, a very thick dense smoke screen but it all goes in a couple of seconds so either option 2 or 3 are the better ones and if you have a large enough mixture e.g. 1-3 pounds option 3 would be the better one for a nice quick dense smoke screen, which should last quite a long time if you have large enough amounts

Edit: also sparklers make excellent fuse's mine gave my about 1 minute to stand back so i decided to cut them in half and have a 30 second fuse and dont light a smoke bomb indoors the smoke would be even worse indoors because it has no where to go