Determining Race

Oceantx

Howdy,

I am looking to determine the (geographic) race of my great-grandfather. He unfortunately hid his past because of political pressure at the time and I only know he is east Asian. Unfortunately all I have to go on is a couple pictures. Now that its no longer a taboo subject my family would be immensely grateful if anyone with the expertise would be willing to give it a shot. My first guess would be Chinese but I'm no expert. I'd be happy to PM a picture.

I apologize if this is the wrong place.

Thanks

For a modest price, you may find that a DNA test to find which haplogroup you belong to may be a more precise approach rather than trying to subjectively identify characteristics from a photo. A google search should lead you to some companies offering this service.

Thanks for your reply, this is actually the first thing I looked into.

I was informed that looking for the more specific ethnic/political origins (Chinese/Japanese/Korean/other) through DNA testing services available, is not always as reliable as advertised. It was my hope that someone familiar with the subtle differences in race may able to help steer me in the right direction. Although I fully intend to still have testing done.

Another way to at least get some indication might be by looking into the roots of his last name, as well as by asking someone familiar with the art of geneology. This being said, tracing ancestry back using the processed adopted by a geneologist is quite a long process (requesting census data, birth records, etc., is apparently quite a pain) and so may not be worth it if you're looking for a quick answer. At the very least, the last name should give you a clue. By looking at my own last name, one half I know can be traced back to Normandy and later Scotland and the other half is a common last name given to Romani (and other) migrants from France into the UK.

My grandmother (who dove into geneology after she retired some 15 years ago) has managed to trace almost everything on my mother's side and most of the family line on my father's side to about as far as records go. It's one of those areas you don't dare ask about unless you're both incredibly bored and have a lot of time.

Another way to at least get some indication might be by looking into the roots of his last name...

I had hoped there would be some clue via names also, but it appears he may of went by a pseudonym. My grandmother who is still alive indicates he was very secretive about his past, refusing to answer any questions. I was also told he wrote a collection of memoirs that he destroyed shortly before his death. Of course all of this just adds to my curiosity. Genealogy efforts so far have reached a brick wall with his side, no record of his birth/census info/military service.

I wonder if I were to purchase the genetic test would the results be better from me or my grandmother? or would it not matter?

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder if I were to purchase the genetic test would the results be better from me or my grandmother? or would it not matter?

Those haplogroup tests come in two flavors. One tests for identifiers in the y chromosome, and the other for changes in the mitochondrial DNA. Because your grandmother doesn't have a y chromosome, you'd only be tracking her ancestry through her mother. You would need to test the closest living male descendant of your great-grandfather.