What if Lightspeed were not constant.

KennyC

Yes, but Einstein[/i'] ;) still had to postulate it. It already had to hold in E&M applications in order for Maxwell's equations to work, so it wasn't too much of a stretch. But it has some bizarre implications for the uninitiated.

Yeah it was a postulate of special relativity wasn't it. Well the point stands, its not a "theoretical" thing, its something that was measured, not deduced by the theory itself. I really is wierd when you think about it.

well yes... i would assume, a theorem is:

a general proposition or statement, not self-evident but demonstrable by argument or a chain of reasoning on the basis of given assumptions

where as a theory is:

a hypothesis that has been confirmed or established by observation or experiment and is accepted as accounting for known facts.

therefore the theory of relativety is a theory, where as pythagoras's theorem is a theorem!

the definition of 'a theory' is often placed parallel to theoretical, which it isnt.

definitions supplied by shorter oxford english dictionary (5th edition) on CD-ROM v2.0