Microchips hooked up to your nerves: The future?

(I thought it's appropriate to post this in the neuroscience section. If a moderator feels it should be somewhere else, please move the thread :P )

I saw a short document-type interview with Kevin Warwick (the "cyborg" guy, Google for the name if you don't know about him), and started to think about that sort of cyborg-stuff. In the near future, do you think the average Joe has the possibility to get even simple microchip and other implants plugged into his nerves and brain, being then able to detect things like infra-red, uv-light, ultrasound and who knows what, that can't normally be detected with the regular human senses?

Comments?

I had thought that with a bundle of very fine wire and a routing chip it may be possible to reconnect spinal cords. I heard of people talking about intigrated computers and I like that idea. You would have a fantastic memory and maybe you could just down load skills. A bit matrix but there you go.

"A bit matrix but there you go."

I know kung fu. And quantum mechanics. :eek:

Yeah, I heard about the memory enhancing too. It would also be cool if you had a modification allowing your brain to process data more efficiently, allowing you to do complex calculations in seconds.

Kevin Warwick is first and foremost a self publicist.

His "cyborg adaptations" have included a chip that went under the skin of his arm and didn't actually do anything (this was some considerable time after we started using subdermal RFID chips to identify animals), and a third hand & wrist that was basically strapped on to his forearm.

If you're already on your way to google, I urge you to look for proper cybernetics researchers instead.

a good place to start looking would be the research done for artificial limbs, that pick up and amplify specific nerve signals that are then routed to servo actuators in arms and hands etc...

and the reverse where electronic signals coordinated by computer stimulate muscle groups in sequence to allow someone to walk for instance :)

I saw a chap on tv. He put a chip in his arm and it transmitted nerve signals to a computer and that recorded them. He could then play them back through the chip and replay his movements. Is that Kevin Warrick?.

Probably - reinventor of the wheel, sounds like him.

Do a search for him on http://www.theregister.co.uk - they have an entertaining history of coverage on his escapades (expect bias).

..' date=' being then able to detect things like infra-red, uv-light, ultrasound and who knows what, that can't normally be detected with the regular human senses?

[/quote']

menkind should first learn to use their brain to the full extend before doing anything else - imo

menkind should first learn to use their brain to the full extend before doing anything else - imo

that`s a fair enough comment, but we already use instruments to detect things our senses cannot, we seem to do just fine :)

the only difference would be that we would carry them around with us.

that`s a fair enough comment' date=' but we already use instruments to detect things our senses cannot, we seem to do just fine :)

the only difference would be that we would carry them around with us.[/quote']

well.. sure, but menkind completely forgot about this area. they all go higher and higher with all new omg gadgets and technologies. besides, there should be research to explore of what the human brain - as it is - is capable of. and in my estimation there is a huge potential and a great amount to be discovered yet. connecting microchips with nervecells is cool but seems like kind of a misguided thing to me.

well.. sure, but menkind completely forgot about this area. they all go higher and higher with all new omg gadgets and technologies. besides, there should be research to explore of what the human brain - as it is - is capable of. and in my estimation there is a huge potential and a great amount to be discovered yet. connecting microchips with nervecells is cool but seems like kind of a misguided thing to me.

all well and good, but this is broaching another subject all together.

the human brain can advance all it wishes too, if the audio and optical senses don`t change also then there would be no benefit.

it`s almost like saying we should abandon the telephone and learn to either shout louder or run faster :)

First, you're inferring that there isn't any such research going on, yet there is and it has been in progress for quite some time.

Second, there's no reason why we should choose between one or the other.

First' date=' you're inferring that there isn't any such research going on, yet there is and it has been in progress for quite some time.

Second, there's no reason why we should choose between one or the other.[/quote']

which research is currently going on? mind altering substances like psychedelics that improve human perception have been banned almost completely..

which research is currently going on?

"to explore of what the human brain - as it is - is capable of", as you put it.

mind altering substances like psychedelics that improve human perception have been banned almost completely..

What has that got to do with anything?

that was your assumption pal

look.. i made my point before' date=' take it or leave it.[/quote']

What on earth are you talking about?

I haven't made any assumptions, and you don't seem to have made any sensible point that I can fathom. That's why I am asking you these questions.