KCl and NaCl in water , separation ?

ACUV

Hello everybody , I have a container with 20 grams NaCl and 20 grams KCl in 1 litre water . Is it possible to separate the Natrium salt and the Kalium salt and the Water to easily have the 3 materials individually ? Thanks in advance .

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried separating by solubility differences?

I've looked around a little and here is something interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3an0LtB3QTE&feature=player_embedded

I think this might be the type of method you are recommending. I think this person is trying to extract some Potassium Chloride from a

Potassium Chloride/Sodium Chloride/Water mixture. Is this person obtaining what he thinks he is obtaining by solubility differences or

is he actually obtaining a mixture of salt crystals?

• 2 months later...

My browser is being really stubborn right now, so I can't watch the video. You'd need to post a link for me to say anything for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3an0LtB3QTE&feature=player_embedded

Perfect separation is the goal. For example , an amount extracted which is a high percentage of one salt and a low percentage of the other is not the goal. Total purity of extraction is the goal. Industrially there are expensive machines that do a good job of giving a high purity of one or the other salt. Simple tools in a kitchen is difficult.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Perfect separation is the goal. For example , an amount extracted which is a high percentage of one salt and a low percentage of the other is not the goal. Total purity of extraction is the goal. Industrially there are expensive machines that do a good job of giving a high purity of one or the other salt. Simple tools in a kitchen is difficult.

If you can afford to waste a small portion of the dissolved solids, just allow most of the NaCl to precipitate out through heating/ natural evaporation. Then filter out the NaCl. Wash it in pure isopropyl alcohol to remove excess liquid. For faster "drying", light the pile on fire. Store for later use. Continue to heat / evaporate, and obtain an impure mix of salts, stop when the KCl starts to precipitate. Filter and throw away. Evaporate/ heat until the solution dries up, this should be KCl. Optionally repeat wash steps, there shouldnt be any significant NaCl contaminant. Store for later use. Remember, KCl should color flame purple, NaCl yellow. Oh, I almost forgot, KCl is more soluble than NaCl in hot water, but less in cold water. Sounds strange, but it's supposed to be true. I think the video would work for getting KCl, but the water would have to be cold, and the KCl would need to be washed in isopropyl.

Edited by chilled_fluorine