Romanticism !

Externet

It has been about fifty years with the teachings of a wise catholic priest, admirable history and literature professor embedded in my 'retina'

He mentioned the romanticism originated as a movement of Roman citizens against the church schism.

That is, -----> Rome anti schism. (1054?)

Can anyone clarify, deny or leave open door to such origin of the movement/word ? I was never able to confirm such anywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Llevo unos cincuenta años con la enseñanza de un culto sacerdote católico profesor de historia y literatura grabados en mi 'retina'.

Mencionó que el romanticismo se originó como un movimiento de ciudadanos de Roma en contra del cisma de la Iglesia. ¿Hay alguien que pueda aclarar, negar o dejar puerta abierta a tal aseveración de Roma-anti-cisma ? Nunca pude encontrar o confirmar tal relación. ¿ Alguien lo sabe ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was on the wind up. Romanticism (in all its forms I believe) comes from Romantic - which comes from Romance - which comes from Romant (the old French for story / tale).

Here are a couple of pictures taken of the two definitions from My OED (I am lucky enough to have a microprint copy of the full OED)

post-32514-0-28167200-1336234654_thumb.jpg

post-32514-0-70356400-1336234675_thumb.jpg

Thanks, imatfaal.

A couple of things...

- Referring to an English dictionary may not be a proper way to research if the word is not English in origin. Seems to me it is German or Latin in origin.

- If such supposed movement from Roman citizens did succeed in fighting a particular 'then-potential' schism, there may have been no schism at all and not much records to research are left.

Here is something from Italian source : http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scisma just in case was a Roman citizens movement.

The date the romanticism (as known) and not to be confused with 'romantic' started around 1770 from what I could find; and that coincides with some schism -or attempt of- by the Anglican church in the XVI century :

----> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_anglicana

Later, from somewhere on the net :

...The final identifiable Anglican group for consideration is the Anglo-Catholics. After changes in English law removed the assurance of an Anglican Parliament, and as Parliament continued to exercise authority over the Church, John Keble preached his famous Oxford sermon on "National Apostasy" in 1833, and the Oxford Movement began. The Movement's adherents--most notable besides Keble were John Henry Newman and Edward Pusey--were called Tractarians, because they wrote tracts to promote their views. Their views opposed primarily the rationalism of the Latitudinarians, but also the Reformed and somewhat anti-intellectual character of the Evangelicals. The Tractarians were the heirs of the High Churchmen, and their goal was a Catholic, but non-Roman, Christianity. They were influenced by the writings of both Greek and Latin Fathers, the 17th-century Caroline divines, and the Romantic movement that was affecting English culture. They had high views of sacramental grace and the real Eucharistic Presence, and also of episcopacy and the Church's independence. Although the Tractarians were not particularly ritualistic, as Anglo-Catholicism developed ritualism became one of its defining features.

The date of the 'great schism' 1054 I wrote in the original post was a guess of the most important one, but may have been another one a long time later.

Sorry, English is my third language and cannot grab the meaning of your "he was on the wind up" Thanks.

The question was asked about the English word so I used an English dictionary. :)

"On the wind up" - making a pretence to cause humour or frustration; comes from winding up a watch/clockwork spring.

Romanticism and its use describing the artistic and literary movement of the end of the 18th Century - from all accounts I have read - comes from the commonly used term Romantic in English which was adopted by the French as Romantique. Both the words Romance and Romantic/Romantique definitely came from the old French Romant which was a story or tale.

In its turn Romant came from Rōmānicē - which is the Latin for "in the Roman way or manner". The use of romanice loqui (speaking in a roman manner) as a phrase for a written tale or story - would seem to me to have its origins in the dark ages where most that was written was in Latin.

Whilst the derivation of the word is not from Rome Anti Schism (I have now checked two English Dictionaries, Robert in French, and Wiktionary) - perhaps the schism the teacher would be refering to (as a form of clever joke) would be the the new gap between the old ancien regime and the new enlightenment. Rome would be a good collective terms for the old world (religious and authoritarian) and romanticism did hark back to much of the pre-enlightenment ideas