Stretch your mind - a litle bit of fun

mossoi

Ahem,

More is a term applied to value, and the only value which can be measured in both the sphere and the blue is volume. I guarantee the volume of the blue plastic is less than the volume of the sphere, therefore the ball is more spherical than blue.

Thanks for coming out though. I enjoyed the show. ;)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not mentioning the various scales used to measure values of light intensity' date=' and colour hue, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Also, volume is not a measure of geometry.

Nice play though :P[/quote']

First of all, there is no need to discuss the intensity or hue of the ball or the light which it reflects. The question states (undeniably) that the ball is blue and made of plastic.

Termininology aside (i am neither a mathmetician nor a scientist), both the sphere and the blue plastic take up unequal amounts of space, and that this is the only variable shared by both (values?), blue and sphere. Not sure how to word this, but I know you understand.

I challenge anyone here to prove that the BLUE plastic takes up MORE space than the SPHERE

therefore the ball is more sphere than blue.

First of all, there is no need to discuss the intensity or hue of the ball or the light which it reflects. The question states (undeniably) that the ball is blue and made of plastic.

If you want to consider that the question undeniably states "the ball is blue", then it can't be more n than it is blue, since we've already assigned it 100% blueness.

The fact that the ball is made of plastic is not really relevant to anything.

Termininology aside (i am neither a mathmetician nor a scientist), both the sphere and the blue plastic take up unequal amounts of space, and that this is the only variable shared by both (values?), blue and sphere. Not sure how to word this, but I know you understand.

Unless you explain where you get the link between the colour of the ball and the material it is made from, that makes no sense.

I challenge anyone here to prove that the BLUE plastic takes up MORE space than the SPHERE

They don't actually need to do that, because it won't prove either side of the discussion.

Yes, just not a very good one.

How is a ball still a ball when you cut it in two? when "ball" means

1. A spherical object or entity

2. A spherical or almost spherical body

I think people are also misunderstanding the word spherical as in capillygus' first post. That you agreed with but was proven wrong.

therefore the ball is more sphere than blue.

The question is not " is the sphere aspect of the ball more voluminous than the plastic aspect?" The question has to do with sphericalness and blueness.

Please tell me again how blueness can be measured in volume.

===========================================================

ATTENTION:ATTENTION:ATTENTION:ATTENTION:ATTENTION:ATTENTION:

I have the answer! The ball is equally spherical and blue!

Second guess: The riddle is unsolvable.

I have the answer! The ball is equally spherical and blue!
You'll have to back that up with some proof. :)
Second guess: The riddle is unsolvable.
You're just not trying hard enough! ;)

100 posts and counting! Wahey!

In the same way that a cake is still a cake when you serve it on little plates with lace doilies.

Yes but the definition of cake stays the same when you cut it, but a ball isnt a ball by definition anymore when you cut it, just two blue plastic semispheres.

• 1 month later...

My money's on no.

Seeing as the ball is presumably not a luminous source isn't it only fair to say it appears blue as a function of the environment in which its placed. There are many places in the universe where such a ball would look very dark indeed, too dark for us to percieve it as blue(if we can see it at all). So if it is a percentage of where the ball 'looks' blue and where we would see it as black then black wins hands down.

The ball is close to spherical in most places except those with extreme gravity, which are in the minority when compared to fields in which a hollow plastic ball could maintain its shape.

This isn't really a puzzle as there is no answer but it's generated an interesting line of debate before...

I have a spherical ball. It is made of plastic and it is hollow. It is also blue.

Is it more blue than it is spherical?

I cannot understand how this could have gone to 100 posts.But i did enjoy reading them:-)

Of course there is an answer,It is more blue than spherical!

The ball is spherical,hollow and blue.So blue covers all the outside.

The inside of the hollow ball is hyperbolic and not a sphere,but is still a shade of blue.

Hence blue is the answer:-)

And im clever and you lot revere me,and want to send me chocolate dont you.:)

I cannot understand how this could have gone to 100 posts.But i did enjoy reading them:-)

Of course there is an answer' date='It is more blue than spherical!

The ball is spherical,hollow and blue.So blue covers all the outside.

The inside of the hollow ball is hyperbolic and not a sphere,but is still a shade of blue.

Hence blue is the answer:-)

And im clever and you lot revere me,and want to send me chocolate dont you.:)[/quote']

Yes, but as has been mentioned before, if the sphere is put into a completely dark room, it is no longer blue but is still spherical, therefore it would be more spherical than blue. The color of the sphere also changes depending on the light source. The sphere shape of it does not change no matter what the light source is. The shape of the object is independent of outside factors. The color of it is dependent on outside factors.

The ball is indeed spherical.

The reason that the ball is spherical is because the originator of this thread said that it was spherical, therefore it's sphereocity :rolleyes: if one of the givin parameters.

It matters not whether or not is is possible to construct a perfectly spherical ball. The fact that it was defined as spherical is all that is necessary to the debate.

Therefore, since blue can be called green to some people and shades of blue even called black, I vote for spherical. :)

The thread creator said spherical and blue. So its as much spherical as blue. Blue is one of the given parameters. It dosnt matter if its blue to some people or black or whatever, if we look at the facts it is[/i'] blue.

But isn't blue somewhat subjective, while spherical is not?

Yes, but as has been mentioned before, if the sphere is put into a completely dark room, it is no longer blue but is still spherical, therefore it would be more spherical than blue. The color of the sphere also changes depending on the light source. The sphere shape of it does not change no matter what the light source is. The shape of the object is independent of outside factors. The color of it is dependent on outside factors.

The OP didnt ask us to put the sphere in a darkened room,a fishtank or dangling from an helicopter,he asked which was it more, spherical or blue.And the answer my dear dr watson is blue!