is dark matter, dark energy, Inflation theory real?

pantheory

The link below, I think, is a well-written discussion of the theoretical problems in cosmology today. This topic and thread is for the discussion of these problems. Discuss known alternatives such as MOND etc., or speculate without bringing up too many details of an unknown model such as your own ;) or providing links to such models. For this, your own new thread would be better :P

http://www.scilogs.e...k-matter-crisis

Edited by pantheory

This thread was started as a spin-off from a number of science news articles relating to several studies showing that dark matter does not match predictions of theory, and that it can't be found where it was thought that it should be found, in our solar system.

It is an interesting article, but I found the site it linked to more succinct and impartial http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1217/. Something I read somewhere else also said that dark matter did not fit well with the evidence that neighbouring galaxies tend to be orientated in similar planes.

Also noteworthy, but none too surprising, is that nobody is too interested in evidence that one of their imaginary beings does not exist. I guess if a physicist at Cern had claimed to have detected a flutter of dark matter, it would have made the headlines and everybody would want to talk about it.

My mechanical model of gravity does predict the observed rotation curves of galaxies, without dark matter, in a general sense; but I have not checked it against astronomical data. However my model does not allow for the universe to expand as much as is currently postulated in the big bang model, so I also need to find an alternative explanation for the cosmic redshift.

This may be of some interest to the discussion:

Galaxy Rotation Curves from General Relativity with Renormalization Group Corrections

We consider the application of quantum corrections computed using renormalization group arguments in the astrophysical domain and show that, for the most natural interpretation of the renormalization group scale parameter, a gravitational coupling parameter G varying [math]10^{-7}[/math] of its value across a galaxy (which is roughly a variation of [math]10^{-12}[/math] per light-year) is sufficient to generate galaxy rotation curves in agreement with the observations. The quality of the resulting fit is similar to the Isothermal profile quality once both the shape of the rotation curve and the mass-to-light ratios are considered for evaluation. In order to perform the analysis, we use recent high quality data from nine regular disk galaxies. For the sake of comparison, the same set of data is modeled also for the Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) and for the recently proposed Scalar Tensor Vector Gravity (STVG). At face value, the model based on quantum corrections clearly leads to better fits than these two alternative theories.

Edited by Daedalus