Creatures with helium in their blood?

TransformerRobot

With a boiling point of −268.93 °C, (the lowest recorded temperature on earth is −89.2 °C for reference), helium is only in liquid form at temperatures which are too low for vertebrates to live at, so no known organism could have liquid helium in its blood. Helium in the bloodstream would generally be present in a dissolved gaseous state, the same as other gases, rather than a liquid.

As a diver, sometimes we use helium as a component of breathing gas on deep dives, as breathing nitrogen at high partial pressure has a narcotic effect and too high a partial pressure of oxygen can cause convulsions and unconsciousness.

As a result, I'm sure I and many other divers have had a much higher than normal quotient of dissolved helium in our bloodstreams. One issue is that helium dissolves into and out of blood and tissues faster then nitrogen, so additional decompression is needed to off-gas on the way up to avoid decompression sickness.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimix_(breathing_gas)

Edited by Arete

With a boiling point of −268.93 °C, (the lowest recorded temperature on earth is −89.2 °C for reference), helium is only in liquid form at temperatures which are too low for vertebrates to live at, so no known organism could have liquid helium in its blood. Helium in the bloodstream would generally be present in a dissolved gaseous state, the same as other gases, rather than a liquid.

As a diver, sometimes we use helium as a component of breathing gas on deep dives, as breathing nitrogen at high partial pressure has a narcotic effect and too high a partial pressure of oxygen can cause convulsions and unconsciousness.

As a result, I'm sure I and many other divers have had a much higher than normal quotient of dissolved helium in our bloodstreams. One issue is that helium dissolves into and out of blood and tissues faster then nitrogen, so additional decompression is needed to off-gas on the way up to avoid decompression sickness.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimix_(breathing_gas)

Fascinating. cool.gif

Okay, then what substance would the creature have in it's blood that would require it to get lots of warmth?

None, to my knowledge. Any inert substance is going to be at ambient temperature.

Some substances facilitate heat transfer more readily than others. For example, helium loses and gains heat about 6x as fast as air. This makes it a poor insulator and in diving, most divers in cold water with trimix will take an independent argon gas source to fill drysuits with due to its thermal inertia.

What percentage of our blood is iron then?

Normal hemoglobin values vary according to age and sex, pregnancy, the altitude where you live, if you smoke... If you donate blood they will do you a test for free :D