Career Question : Programming and computer science

ramil13

Hey, I'm a first year going onto second year shortly computer security major. I'm not the best at math (meaning I don't get the best marks, not my favourite subject) my university only wants 4 courses which are pure math for my degree. Since I'm not the best at math I'm not that interested into it and don't like it. But, I LOVE computer security, networks, malwares , attacks etc including programming.. what Im trying to get to is, do you NEED to be as good as you can be at math considering it's based off math? For me math is just something I have to put up with because I love this job and what goes on in it, I currently know java full in and out. What do you guys think? Maybe java isn't the hardest or most math oriented program but I doubt any programming language is like that unless they ask you to make a program with math in it.

Edited by ramil13

I don't see where you'd need to apply mathematics in computer security(aside from the everyday use of it) but programming and reverse engineering does require the ability to think algorithmically.

If you cover any cryptography in your computer security courses, you'll need to know some mathematics. Analysis of algorithms also requires some basic mathematics.

You don't need to be a math genius, but understanding the underlying mathematics certainly makes things easier.

Computer science and programming are not the same, of course. Unfortunately, most people seem to think they overlap nearly entirely, which is why I'll probably go for a math degree rather than dipping my nose into the horrible PLs they might make me learn for software-engineering's sake.

Now in regards to you, your university might require some math classes that may look scary. :P

Edited by Ben Bowen

because I love this job and what goes on in it, I currently know java full in and out.

Sounds like you'll be fine.

When you do what you love and you love what you do you tend to excel any way.

Your understanding of Java reveals that your maths is probably much better than you think.

Identifying variable types, using operators and loops etc. think about it for a sec...

You've pretty much been using and creating complex algebra within your code already with 'real world' application.

It's easy not to recognise maths when it doesn't feel like you're filling out an exam paper. The truth is our lives are full of it.

All the best to you.

Edited by ThorHammaraxx

of course u need o have little mathematics involved with whichever field you go in computer science

in network security u'll be needing caliberation and manipulation of ciphers, even aes, des are based on numerical calculations, you cannot escape maths because of this reason that you dont like it, you have to learn it anyhow

• 3 months later...

If you are interested to make your career in computer science it is necessary for u to strong in mathematics..in computer science engineering the most important subject is math.. in case of any programming language the logic also came from math...

General computer science is the exact opposite of mathematics:

mathematics makes proofs of assertions that need few hypothesis and work always;

software observes that some program may work sometimes for unknown reasons under huge contingencies.

Sadly for you, cryptography is THE part of software that needs some maths.

Not very complicated: only finite fields and reasonable algebra.