order of learning in math

Vastor

hey guys, as a SPM candidate(GCE O-level equivalent), the exam considered to be not too hard and give me much free time. (currently doing good grade too)

Thus, I can study(for fun) math. I don't know which order should I start, I mean looking in math playlist on Khan Academy...

There:-

- Arithmetic (mastered)

- Developmental math

- Pre-algebra(currently here)

- Algebra

- Geometry

- Trigonometry

- Probability

- Statistics

- Pre-Calculus

- Calculus

- Differential Equations

- Linear Algebra

- Vi Hart

hope anyone can give right order for this, I mean of course the playlist before needed for the next playlist... etc..

p.s. study this because seems to be most of the lesson it give help a lot in exam syllabus too...

even over the syllabus, it can give so much understanding and most importantly it is fun... ^_^

hey guys, as a SPM candidate(GCE O-level equivalent), the exam considered to be not too hard and give me much free time. (currently doing good grade too)

Thus, I can study(for fun) math. I don't know which order should I start, I mean looking in math playlist on Khan Academy...

There:-

- Arithmetic (mastered)

- Developmental math

- Pre-algebra(currently here)

- Algebra

- Geometry

- Trigonometry

- Probability

- Statistics

- Pre-Calculus

- Calculus

- Differential Equations

- Linear Algebra

- Vi Hart

hope anyone can give right order for this, I mean of course the playlist before needed for the next playlist... etc..

p.s. study this because seems to be most of the lesson it give help a lot in exam syllabus too...

even over the syllabus, it can give so much understanding and most importantly it is fun... ^_^

There's a nice tree structure you can access via the exercises.

If you pick an area that interests you, you can see what's required before you learn it, and what it leads to.

There's a nice tree structure you can access via the exercises.

If you pick an area that interests you, you can see what's required before you learn it, and what it leads to.

The order is alright. However, you can put probability and statistics anywhere, and it might help to understand a bit of linear algebra in conjunction with a study of ordinary differential equations (say as is done in Braun's book).

I have no idea how they differentiate pre-calculus from algebra and trigonometry or why anyone would want to, but I would guess that it is just more algebra and trig and you do need to be proficient in those subjects to be able to learn calculus efficiently.

I suggest moving "Vi Hart" to the trash can. What I saw thee is cute but would tend to just confuse someone trying to learn the subject.

The order is alright. However, you can put probability and statistics anywhere, and it might help to understand a bit of linear algebra in conjunction with a study of ordinary differential equations (say as is done in Braun's book).

I have no idea how they differentiate pre-calculus from algebra and trigonometry or why anyone would want to, but I would guess that it is just more algebra and trig and you do need to be proficient in those subjects to be able to learn calculus efficiently.

I suggest moving "Vi Hart" to the trash can. What I saw thee is cute but would tend to just confuse someone trying to learn the subject.

thnx for the tips :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have an idea where else online one could follow a mathematics curriculum?

The Khan videos don't really work for me.

Various universities offer various math classes on their youtube channels, but none seem to offer a full math curriculum, it's very patchwork.

• 1 month later...

Math is pretty hard, one gotta invest time in it. More time than people usually project for themselves.

get fluent with every step before moving on, don't hop and skip. Going back to often fresh memory and check if anything is forgotten is good too.

Math is not like lifting buckets of apples, one can let an apple fall and then pick it up later. In math, a single error early on usually means whole time wasted.

Oh, and play some Suduko puzzles, these puzzles do in fact improve number reconition and reaction and mathematical thinking.